Churchill Compliments brightens students’ days

A Facebook account called “Churchill Compliments” has become a popular way for students to anonymously compliment each other. The Facebook account, which was created in December and has more than 1,000 friends, posts compliments sent to its inbox.

The account posts about 10 compliments per day.

What’s great about the page is that it allows people to say the things they feel deep down but wouldn’t feel comfortable saying in person or not anonymously,” said the user behind Churchill Compliments, who asked to remain anonymous.

One compliment may be all it takes to make someone’s day.

“I have received three compliments,” senior Ethan Schneider said. “I was overjoyed as it was really sweet of whoever it may have been to write such heartfelt, caring things.”

Posting compliments is not about making the person who sends in the compliment look like a good person. Rather, it is about making the one receiving the compliment happy.

“By not knowing who’s taking the time to post the compliments, it’s impossible to attribute credit to one individual for spreading good feelings,” the account’s creator said. “Churchill students are forced to wonder who’s doing it, and in that sense, they can only picture all the nice things being said about them as being said by the school community, instead of just one person.”

Compliments are also made meaningful by their spontaneity.

“Getting the compliments makes my day so much better,” sophomore Siobhan Shea said. “They were so random and reading them made me feel so flattered, and I felt less stressed for some reason.”

The account’s creator remains anonymous for many reasons.

“I just want people to recognize that they’re a lot better than they think they are,” the creator said. “If I were not anonymous, people would ask me in person about who submitted what compliment. People may also feel less comfortable submitting honest or emotionally significant compliments if they knew who I was or knew I knew the person they were complimenting well.”

Sometimes, a compliment can highlight a positive side of a person that others may not have seen before.

“It also shows other Churchill students how nice someone actually may be,” Shea said.  “If I read a compliment about someone I didn’t really know, I would think that person must be really nice based on what the compliment said.”

According to the creator, the page would be worth it as long as it helped at least one person feel better about themselves and get through the day.

Remaining anonymous keeps the page interesting and mysterious.

“I also feel the anonymity keeps the thought behind the compliment pure,” Schneider said. “There are no boundaries, just someone being honest.”