TOMS lets students give to charity while looking pretty

“One for one.” More than just a catchy slogan, these three words are the background and meaning behind the TOMS charity. TOM, short for “tomorrow,” symbolizes TOMS mission “for a better tomorrow.”

According to the TOMS website, TOMS was founded by Blake Mycoskie in 2006. TOMS started out as a small charity selling canvas shoes. For every one pair of shoes that is purchased, TOMS gives a pair of shoes to a child in need.

“The charity makes you feel that you’re not just buying shoes for yourself, but giving something for someone in need,” said sophomore Mara Zankman, a TOMS owner.

According to the TOMS website, the company started when Mycoskie went to Argentina in 2006 and saw the effects of children growing up without shoes.

According to the TOMS website, soil-transmitted diseases are common in developing countries such as Argentina. Kids develop these diseases by walking and playing around barefoot. In addition, students are prohibited from attending school barefoot because of school rules.
Since 2006, TOMS has added many new styles of shoes, as well as other items and accessories. Even if a customer is not looking to purchase shoes, those other items still help children in need.

“People buy TOMS products for style and comfort,” Zankman said. “They’re happy when they find out there is a cause behind it.”

According to the TOMS website, as of September 2010 TOMS has given over one million pairs of shoes to children around the world.

“I believe TOMS has continuously gotten more popular,” said Katie K., a customer service specialist at Nordstrom. “They are becoming more well-known and word of mouth is spreading about the shoes.”

The newly added Campus Classic TOMS are designed in school colors. As of now, eight different universities are represented, including the Universities of Alabama, Florida and six other schools.

According to the official website, college students can display their school spirit while contributing to the TOMS charity.
“‘TOMS’ expansion to accessories will also help the important cause of helping kids in need,” Zankman said.

The company has created sunglasses for both women and men which are sold in several different styles and colors. These too help people in need, but in a different way.

“Every pair of sunglasses purchased will help TOMS give sight to one person in need through medical treatment, prescription eyeglasses or sight-saving surgery,” Katie said.

Not only do TOMS sunglasses help those in need, but they are also extremely lightweight for everyday use and very affordable.

“Thinking about the fact that you are actually buying two pairs of shoes, the price is worth it,” senior Brenna Means said.

TOMS has continued to grow and expand, impressing customers with their unique charity and purpose.

“Originally I thought TOMS would just be a small charity, but it has now grown into a huge style,” freshman TOMS owner Rachel Rabinovitz said. “The charity aspect is an added bonus.”