Students host talk show, discuss local D.C. sports

alk shows dominate TV networks, control the radio stations and swarm the Internet. However, few people know about a local D.C. sports talk started by CHS students.

It all began when seniors Bart Lambergman, Max Liss, Robbie Adler and Jesse Kriesman sat at a wall in the hallway during lunch and discussed their opinions on D.C. sporting events. This everyday discussion soon evolved into a sports talk show they titled Boys at the Wall.

According to Liss, the show, which started in May 2011, was originally a podcast broadcasted in a basement with one computer and RockBand video game microphones but eventually grew to a YouTube channel with video and professional equipment.

“Since we wanted to increase views we decided to do video instead of just audio,” Adler said.

The show records every Friday, and sometimes more often, depending on what is going on in the sports world. They try to cover every D.C. sport at least once during the show’s season and expand beyond just the facts.

“We are trying to be both informative and entertaining, so we give our opinions opposed to just the news,” Lambergman said. “Not only do we talk about sports, but we talk about entertainment and CHS with a main focus of D.C. sports.”

Senior Kelby Spring often watches the show on YouTube.

“It’s a good idea and is funny at times,” Spring said. “I think it is good that they are following their passion. The problem is, they cover sports for the worst sports town in America, but they do a good job with what they talk about.”

The show allows viewers to call in live and offer their opinions or suggest topics to discuss. According to Lambergman, several big names in D.C. sports have called into the show.

“Rock from the sports radio station 106.7 The Fan, CSN reporter Russ Thaler, former Redskin and sideline reporter Doc Walker, Maryland sports announcer and Nationals host Johnny Holliday, and Redskins players Lorenzo Alexander and Reed Doughty are the famous D.C. sports figures that have been on our show so far,” Lambergman said.

According to Kriesman, the best part of the show is getting into arguments with one another. They all share a passion for voicing their sports opinions and then debating them on the show.

“We are all sports fans and at lunch that’s all we talk about,” Kreisman said. “We were tired of no one hearing our opinions.”

As for the future of the show, the boys plan on continuing Boys at the Wall and hope to eventually expand to live television through local Montgomery Access TV. They already have T-shirts for sale and are designing more apparel.

“We are working on getting it live so it is easier for viewers to call in,” Adler said. “We have been talking to people at a local Montgomery channel and hope to eventually broadcast there.”