Facebook incorporates changes

Attention CHS Facebook addicts: it is time to say goodbye to those lifelong profiles. There is a new change ahead and it is going to be revolutionary.

The “Facebook Timeline” is a newer version of the Facebook Profile that shares and collects all of your favorite moments in one location.

According to The Facebook Blog, which constantly updates new features and information about Facebook, the redesign is said to be the biggest transformation on Facebook so far. The network’s personal profile page will soon appear as a timeline of one’s existence. Your current life will no longer be the main outlook of Facebook. This new timeline will recreate your memories by containing information about certain events of your past.

The appearance of your profile page will contain a collage of personalized photos, text boxes and videos separated into two columns. You will be able to design the top of your “Cover” with a unique picture that is first seen when someone visits your Timeline page.

The more you post about your past and present, the more data Facebook will learn about you.

Unlike typical social networking profiles, the Facebook Timeline will allow you to highlight the most significant and touching moments of your life. It will bring your online personal information to a whole new level.

Some CHS students feel it is an unnecessary change.

“It’s going to fill up the screen with stuff you don’t care about,” senior Amin Soolari said. “I personally won’t like it.”

Meanwhile, Facebook users who can take the anticipation no longer are able to launch the Timeline feature before it officially becomes a part of the site.

“It takes a while to get used to but it is much easier to find old posts and photos,” said freshman Siobhan Shea who has already switched to the new format.

However, due to a recent court case, those who have not launched the new feature might not be seeing it for a while. Timelines Inc., a small company located in Chicago, is suing Facebook for trademark infringement, temporarily putting the Facebook Timeline on hold from further display.

According to an Oct. 3 PCMag article, the company allows users to share personal events on their Timelines.com website. However, Timelines Inc. feels that their business is being threatened by Facebook’s mimicking feature and might cause them to go out of business.

Despite complaints, Facebook is continuing to decline accusations and pursue the formation of their new product.

This new feature is much bigger compared to past modifications. Although those minor changes had caused many negative reactions, they usually end up forgotten.

According to Soolari, in the beginning he used to complain about the new changes but after a while he doesn’t even notice that they are there.

“I really like the idea,” freshman Cory Gritz said. “It gives people something new so that they don’t get bored of Facebook.”