Facebook group bashes CHS, students fight back

“Everyone hates CHS because we use bats [against cars], take computers for granted and think we are better than everyone else.” These are just a few of the posts on the new Facebook group “Everyone Hates Churchill.”
This recently created Facebook page gives MCPS students a chance to voice their opinions, all negative, about CHS.
 “I was at a [track] meet and the other schools got together to chant ‘No one likes you,’ said page co-creator, junior Mark, who asked that his real name not be said. “So me and three other guys from Wootton, Whitman and Walter Johnson made a [Facebook] page.”
 Although students had been aware of the somewhat negative reputation that comes along with attending CHS, many were shocked by the creation of a group with the sole purpose of bashing it.
 “It was intended as an inside joke,” Mark said. “I guess it popped up on people’s newsfeeds.”
 Dislike and even anger towards CHS students is not new. In fact, the resentment has been around for a while.
 “I remember the ‘W’ schools were the ‘rich ones,’” said social studies teacher Jared Pulliam, who went to Springbook High School. “When they did well we thought we would do well too if we had the same resources.”
Other students who viewed the page found the insulting remarks to be unsurprising and also unoffensive.
“I think it’s pretty funny how people went out of their way to make a group,” junior Michael Calender said. “There has been drama between other schools and CHS, so they wanted to say stuff about us.”
 Anti-CHS attitudes are especially evident at sporting events where opposing teams tend to bring their A-game and fighting spirit against the Bulldogs.
 “Other schools might hate us as an opponent, but not in general,” security guard Terry Bell said. “They may have preconceived notions.”
 Whether other schools dislike CHS in general, or just certain aspects, the group was popular among Facebook users.
According to Mark, out of the 717 people who “liked” the page on Facebook, over 300 were CHS students. Many CHS students even posted on the site.
The group’s posts include negative comments and angry opinions from both CHS and non-CHS students.
 “I think that some of the trash talk that went on the page by CHS kids backed up the accusations made against us,” Mark said. “It may not be clear to everyone that the comments are sarcastic.”
 Whether the page has had a negative view of students or not, it has made opinions and thoughts about them clear.
 “It’s not that I dislike CHS students, I love them,” Mark said. “It was more of a joke about how other schools dislike us.”