Summer concerts bring heat to D.C. area

Creative Commons

This May and June, the Mid-Atlantic Region will be home to a host of concerts and festivals, including shows with SZA and Khalid and the Firefly Music Festival.

By Drew Ingall, Senior Writer

It’s that time of year. The weather is getting warmer, outdoor concert venues are opening and big music artists are coming to town. That’s right, it’s concert season.

The stretch from early May until the middle of June is jam-packed with visits from big music artists from all over; in the DMV, it all leads up to the four day Firefly Music Festival held in Dover, Del. June 14 to 17.

With a multitude of tours passing through the area, there are some that are sure to stand out from the rest. The following list includes the must-see concerts of the 2018 spring concert season at concert venues in D.C., Md., Va. and Del.

Kygo

When: May 7-8Where: The Anthem, Washington, D.C.

EDM artist Kygo will be stopping in the DMV during his “Kids in Love Tour.” While promoting his album of the same name, Kygo has mainly been performing in locations all over Europe for the beginning of his tour and started performing stateside just last month. For people interested in a concert with pounding music and energy and excitement, this is the one for you. With fellow EDM artists Alan Walker and Blackbear also in attendance, it’s hard to believe this concert wouldn’t be lively.

Preakness Budweiser InfieldFest

When: May 19

Where: Pimlico Golf Course, Baltimore, Md.

Artists in Attendance: Post Malone, 21 Savage, ODESZA, DJ Vice, Frank Walker

The Budweiser InfieldFest takes place on the last day of the historic Preakness Stakes, which is one of the jewels of the horse-racing triple crown. In honor of the 10th Anniversary of the festival, Preakness wasted no expense bringing in big names from the Hip-hop and EDM music scenes. This event is a stop on the joint Post Malone/21 Savage tour that has been going on since late April. This event offers great lineup of multiple music genres, and it allows ticket-holders to have access to one of the most watched sporting-events in the world. Who would think that music, festivals and horse-racing could go so well together?

Jack White

When: May 29-30

Where: The Anthem, Washington, D.C.

After the release of a very successful album “Boarding House Reach” and an epic return to the stage on Saturday Night Live, Jack White has been promoting his new album on tour and DC is one of his next stops. The White Stripes guitarist is incredibly popular in the rock world and has been a big name in the industry for a long time. While both nights are already sold out, there is always a possibility that more tickets will be put on sale, and with Jack White’s talent, it’s definitely worth it for rock fans to keep it on their radar.

Top Dawg Entertainment: The Champions Tour
When: June 1

Where: Jiffy Lube Live, Bristow, VA

Artists in attendance: Kendrick Lamar, SZA, Schoolboy Q, Jay Rock, Ab Soul, SiR, Lance Skiiiwalker
Besides Firefly, this concert is the one with the most name recognition. Top Dawg Entertainment (TDE) is basically taking a victory lap after the success of each artist individually, with Lamar winning five Grammys and a Pulitzer Prize for his album DAMN, and SZA receiving five Grammy nominations. The tour also celebrates the accomplishments of the group as a whole, as almost all of the artists were a part of recent hit film “Black Panther’s” soundtrack in some way, shape or form. With the firepower of all of the artists and the close proximity of the CHS community to Bristow, VA, this is a concert that will be talked about by everyone who goes, so don’t miss out!

Brockhampton

When: June 3

Where: Rams Head Live, Baltimore, Md.

This rap boy band has had a monstrous year, releasing three full-length albums within a span of a few months, and has plans to release another album this summer. Furthermore, after wrapping up their “Love Your Parents” tour in mid-March, they are already planning to go back out on the road for the “Stereo Spirit Tour” in early May. Even though they are a rap group, many of their songs incorporate funk, disco and pop. Their music isn’t only for hip-hop fans, and this concert certainly won’t be all rap, so it’s definitely an event worth seeing live.

Khalid

When: June 4-5

Where: Pier Six Concert Pavilion, Baltimore, Md.

After five Grammy nominations, Khalid has embarked on “The Roxy Tour” and will be stopping in the DMV about a month into the tour. Named after his new dog Roxy (that he rescued from a Los Angeles animal shelter) this tour will donate a dollar for every ticket sold to local animal shelters near each tour stop. Aside from the charitable incentive for animal lovers, this concert is sure to be an awesome experience. With Khalid’s soulful and mellow R&B sound, the event is perfect for the CHS students who don’t love the atmosphere of a rowdy, energized concert and who just want to have a relaxing time.

Firefly Music Festival

When: June 14-17

Where: The Woodlands, Dover, Del.

Artists in Attendance: Logic, Eminem, The Killers, Martin Garrix, Lil Wayne, Kendrick Lamar, SZA and more.

The main event. This is shaping up to be one of the best Firefly lineups ever. Yes, Dover, Del. is a little far away, but the whole festival is four days long, so it isn’t too much of a trek. If you do not have anywhere to stay, you are allowed to camp on the festival grounds, which can be a lot of fun. This is the event that most CHS students will be more than happy to attend, so if you have the opportunity to, take it.
Concert season is always a lot of fun, especially when you are with your friends, but it’s still important to do everything the safe way in such a public space and environment. Stay away from drugs and alcohol, and do not talk to strangers. Like anyone would ever forget it at home, but it’s important to have your cell phone, not just for emergencies, but for fun pictures and videos. Follow these steps, and your concert experience will be that much better.