Student Art Spotlight: Sebin Jeon

Sebin Jeon

Artist Sebin Jeon creates monochromatic drawings inspired by her experiences with people and nature.

By Vicky Gunawan, Observations Editor

Art is not just a black-and-white subject, as it is usually thought of as vibrant and complex. However, for junior Sebin Jeon, her style of expressing her creativity is through the use of monochromatic, or single colored, pencil drawings.

Jeon recently received a Gold Key and honorable mention for two of her artworks in the National Scholastic Art and Writing Competition. In the past, Jeon has also won the Best of Show Award for the Maryland Duck Stamp competition, which features Md artists ranging from kindergarten to 12th grade.
“I often feel surprised and grateful when my art is awarded in competitions,” Jeon said. “I also feel a sense of pride when I receive recognition for my creations.”

Not many find their passion at young age, but Jeon has had a love for drawing since she was 5 years old. Jeon gives credit to her art teachers for encouraging her to express herself in her artwork and to her parents for financing her artistic ambitions.

“I started art lessons around the age of 5 years old,” Jeon said. “I’ve never stopped because of the fulfilling feeling of completing my own work and the desire to improve and grow as an artist.”
Jeon’s art teacher, Shineh Yoon, saw her talent at a young age and immediately saw a bright future in art for Jeon. At her studio in Gaithersburg, Yoon teaches a variety of different types of art, including fundamental concepts of painting and advanced drawing, to students who range from kindergarten to 12th grade.

According to Yoon, Jeon utilizes different materials to develop her pieces and strives to make her pieces conceptually unique, through the use of non-traditional subjects, to create personal messages.
“Sebin is a realism artist and she is already at a level where she can utilize her foundation in fine arts to freely express her creativity without compromise,” Yoon said. “She is a young artist with immense potential and skills that are especially exquisite and have become more refined and I am looking forward to what she will achieve in the future.”

For some students, art can be used as a stress reliever and an outlet to be creative. To Jeon, art has the ability to give her a sense of relaxation. Jeon’s use of objects, figures and colors illustrates an underlying message that also gives her an outlet for expressing ideas.

“When I am drawing or painting, there is nothing on my mind except for developing the artwork in front of me,” Jeon said. “This allows me to effectively step away from the stress of school and personal events.”
Jeon’s talent has also attracted the attention of her friends, as they have also seen her grow as an artist. Jeon’s realistic drawing style comes from her everyday experiences, nature and relationships with others.

“Her artwork is extremely detailed and seem like they are going to come to life,” junior Teddi Yoo said. “It always has a story behind it, which makes her artwork incredibly unique.”

Although Jeon doesn’t plan to pursue a career in art, she intends to continue using art as an outlet to express creativity and relieve stress.

“I hope that I can continue to learn more about art,” Jeon said. “I don’t think I will pursue a career in art, but I hope that I will be able to keep it as a hobby.”