Stars of the Screen

With summer reruns in the past, it is time for old favorites to return and for new programs to air, helping distract us from our studies.

Returning Shows

American Horror Story: Freak Show

The fourth season of the hit TV show on FX starring Evan Peters, Emma Roberts and Jessica Lange returns Oct. 8, focusing on circus freaks and other strange anomalies. The critically acclaimed show has fans everywhere excited to watch the new season.

“My hopes are pretty high,” junior Matthew Olego said.  “I’m just really curious about what the plot will be about. Emma Roberts said she cannot even watch it because the script gave her nightmares.”

Scandal

Ex-White House employee Olivia Pope (Kerry Washington) fixes problems for celebrities, diplomats and other officials who cannot afford to have their secrets leaked. The problem with her seemingly perfect life: she is having an affair with the President of the United States. The fourth season will air Sept. 25 on ABC.

Faking It

Winner of a Teen Choice Award for “Breakout Show,” the second season will air Sept. 23 on MTV. The show focuses on Karma (Katie Stevens) and Amy (Rita Volk), two best friends who pretend to be lesbians in order to become popular.

“I think it’s a show that hasn’t been done before, so it is exciting to see the new episodes and see the characters progress and learn,” senior Antonia Gavira said.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine– Based on police officers in Brooklyn’s 99th precinct, this FOX sitcom centers on young detective, Jake Peralta (Andy Samberg), whose crazy antics and criminal-catching methods get him into major trouble with the new captain (Andre Braugher).

New Shows

The Flash

A spin off from the show “Arrow,” this one focuses on the superhero “The Flash” and premieres Oct. 7 on the CW. Having gained his powers from a freak storm accident, Barry Allen (Grant Gustin) is able to run faster than the speed of sound and has lightning quick reflexes. He uses his power to fight villains threatening to destroy Central City.

Gotham

Before Batman fought crime, there was Detective Jim Gordon (Ben McKenzie). Set after the death of Bruce Wayne’s parents, Detective Gordon battles the corruption in Gotham that is tearing the city apart. A prequel to Batman’s story, this dark thriller will surely leave viewers wanting more. Many years prior to the rise of Batman, this noir-type series has the same dangerous villains, only younger.

“I’m looking forward to seeing how the producers interpret the different villains from the original Batman movies,” sophomore Maddie Goldberg said. “I’m looking forward to seeing their backgrounds and how Gotham came to be such a place where Batman was needed.”

Selfie

A loose retelling of My Fair Lady, this adaption focuses on social media-obsessed Eliza Dooley (Karen Gillan) and her struggle to revamp her image with the help of her co-worker Henry (John Cho). The comedy will premiere Sept. 30 on ABC.

“As for the impact on other people obsessed with social media (most teenagers), I think, although it is a comedy, a light bulb may go off in their heads inspiring them to put down their smartphones, and see the world how it really is, not just through Instagram,” freshman Bennett Cohen said.

Red Band Society

This teen drama on FOX focuses on young patients in a Los Angeles hospital and how they cope with their life-threatening illnesses all while bonding with each other and making memories to last a lifetime.

“I think it will show audiences that love and people exist in all different forms and styles like not everyone is the same,” sophomore Priscilla Hollingsworth said. Everyone has something wrong with them whether it is a sickness or a beauty mark. But we must learn to love them regardless cause luck may run out.”