ASVAB test guides WCHS students towards their calling

Diego+Escalante+wants+to+join+the+Navy+and+would+go+through+training+at+Navy+Academy+in+Annapolis%2C+Md.+

Photo Courtesy of Jeremy Fredricks

Diego Escalante wants to join the Navy and would go through training at Navy Academy in Annapolis, Md.

By Jeremy Fredricks, Assistant Opinions Editor

Many students immediately think of college as life after high school; however, what is often overlooked is the option of enrolling in the military.

The Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) Test is a multiple choice placement test that helps prospective military recruits find what career they would be best suited for. On Apr. 10, 57 WCHS students took the test. “The ASVAB will determine what job you get in the U.S. military,” senior Diego Escalante said.

The practice test is given every year to WCHS students who want to take it through the college and career center.

“I support the test as does the school,” College Information Coordinator Luana Zimmerman said. “We arrange opportunities for students at least once per year. The testing is supported by MCPS.”

Escalante’s dream job is in the field of cybersecurity. The minimum ASVAB Test score he can get to join the Navy is 35. The higher the score, the more likely a career is.

Escalante also currently takes classes on the Navy at Gaithersburg High School. During these classes, students learn different skills needed to be successful in the Navy.

“I currently work for the Navy in the mornings,” Escalante said. “This has been a great experience as I can focus on both school and the Navy.”

Escalante’s sister, senior Catalina Escalante, has already taken the ASVAB test and passed it. She is going to join the navy, specifically studying the communication between ships. Since they are both in the military, it has strengthened their relationship.

“The ASVAB test has made us more confident in what we’re going to do in the military,” Diego Escalante said.

Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS) has a policy of not giving out the ASVAB test results. Students taking the ASVAB test, are under “Option 8,” meaning no information will be given to the military, only to the individual students.

“I would prefer if WCHS did give our test results to the military so that the test has some purpose,” freshman Meghan Gill said. “I feel like the military should know our scores.”

Gill recently took the ASVAB practice test and received medical associate to the army as her result, which is her top choice. She also received the result of a role in cybersecurity.

“The ASVAB test told me what my strengths are and a couple of things I could work on,” Gill said. “It’s a really good indicator of what you should do with you future. I really do support giving this test because it tells you if you’re in the military, what things you should do, or if you shouldn’t be in the military in general.”

One of the most looked forward to aspects of joining the military is traveling around the world and experiencing different cultures. The military also contributes to future prospects by providing scholarships for students.

“For me, it’s a lot about serving your country, Gill said. “It’s something I’m really into. It’s something I’ve always wanted to do. My father, grandfather and great-grandfather were all in the military. I’ve been surrounded by the military for my whole life.”

Gill’s grandfather fought in Vietnam, her great-grandfather fought in the Second World War, and her father is a reserved fighter and the former financial manager of the army.

“The military gives people a sense of purpose,” Gill said. “I love the programs that are possible once you leave the military. I love the way they help people adjust to civilian life. I like what it stands for. They pay for college, find jobs and get you back on your feet when you come back. It’s a great program.”

The ASVAB test gives students the chance to explore future careers.

“I support the ASVAB Test,” Diego Escalante said. “If WCHS wasn’t having this test then, other people that wanted to go to the military wouldn’t have the chance to see how they would do.”