First annual UMTTR basketball tournament

On Sunday Sept 15, the Bullis school will be hosting the first annual UMTTR (pronounced “you matter”) 3 vs 3 Basketball Tournament & Fun Day in Memory of Evan Rosenstock. The proceeds for the tournament will be donated to the Mayo Clinic for Teenage Depression and Suicide Research and the Positive Coaching Alliance (PCA).

UMTTR was coordinated by CHS senior Erik Roberts and Evan’s mother, Sue Rosenstock. The tournament’s main goal is to increase teenage suicide awareness throughout Montgomery County, and to prevent stories like Evan’s from happening again.

“Everyone felt like they had no idea where this came from,” Sue said. “That’s how the idea of teen suicide research came about, because nobody imagined Evan to do this.”

According to Roberts, UMTTR will be a great way of reaching out to those who are going through depression or have suicidal thoughts.

“[UMTTR] is going to show them that no matter how insignificant they might feel, they are so important,” Roberts said.

McLean sophomore Carter Caplan and Whitman junior Justin Kay also helped coordinate the tournament. Caplan, who is set to chair UMTTR in two years, also runs the UMTTR Facebook page and website, UMTTR.org.

“[The tournament] will show how much people actually love Evan, and the money that we donate will be going to good use,” Caplan said.

There will be many celebrity appearances at the tournament, including former Washington Wizard Gheorghe Muresan, whose son George is a current CHS sophomore and JV Basketball player, former Washington Capital Yvon Labre, the Washington Greenhawks semi-pro basketball team and sports author Dave Ungrady.

The tournament will also be accompanied by a “Fun Day,” which will include a silent auction of sports memorabilia and gift certificates, a moon bounce, food, beverages and more.

According to Roberts, the UMTTR will feature “students from all over: every county, every socio-economic background.”

CHS senior Noah Fleishman is one such participant in the tournament, teaming with fellow Bulldogs senior Zach Raizon and juniors Griffin Horn and Eric Murray.

“I do think this is a good tribute because basketball was clearly something he loved doing and this is a great way to raise support and money for the cause,” Fleishman said.

For those looking to support the Rosenstock family, as well as promote teen suicide research, the UMTTR 3 on 3 Tournament is a great way to honor Evan’s memory and help an important cause. Those who are not participating in the tournament should come to cheer for their friends and pay tribute to Evan.