You Outta Know

2012 was filled with newsworthy events. The following is a list compiled by the Observer of the top  events of the year.

NATIONAL

Obamacare

The Affordable Care Act, a nationwide health care law that requires people to purchase health-care based on federal regulations with government subsidies, was upheld by the Supreme Court.

According to a Nov. 7 Washington Post article, Obamacare extends medical care to over 30 million people. In the months leading up to the 2012 presidential election,  Republicans widely criticized the Affordable Care Act because they believed the federal government was overstepping its boundaries.

According to a Dec. 3 Business Insider article, the Supreme Court ruled Obamacare constitutional in June due to the taxing authority of Congress. Some right-leaning groups, however, have pushed the Act back into court, challenging that bills for raising revenue must start in the U.S. House of Representatives. “Obamacare” was started in the Senate.

However, because President Barack Obama won reelection, Obamacare is most likely here to stay. For now, Obamacare will provide millions of Americans with healthcare that they would not have been able to afford otherwise.

INTERNATIONAL

Middle East Plagued by Unrest

The Middle East was plagued by unrest throughout much of 2012. Syria spent the year in the midst of civil war, while Egypt was left reeling after their new democratically-elected president appointed himself totalitarian-esque powers.

According to a Sept. 10 CNN article, over 20,000 people have died in the Syria conflict between the government and the rebels. Just a few countries away from Syria, Egypt has also been dealing with its own internal conflicts after establishing a democracy for the first time.

According to a Dec. 3 CNN.com article, the controversial edict in which democratically-elected President Mohamed Morsi assumed all governmental power, including the executive and judiciary branches, will be void should a new constitution pass Dec. 15.

Egypt has been without a constitution since the uprisings last spring that ousted Dictator Hosni Mubarak.

Morsi canceled most of the controversial edict giving him unlimited powers. However, a new constitution is still in the works for passage.

INTERNATIONAL

Athletes Compete in 2012 London Olympics

The summer of 2012 was dominated by the Games of the XXX Olympiad.

According to The Guardian, nearly 11,000 athletes participated in 26 medal sports. Every participating country sent a female to the games for the first time in Olympic history.

The United States came out on top in the medal count with 104 medals.

One of the U.S. medal winners, and the youngest member of Team USA, was 15-year-old Katie Ledecky, a Bethesda,  resident and student at the Stone Ridge School of the Sacred Heart.

Ledecky won a gold medal in the 800 meter freestyle swimming event  in her first time competing in the Olympics.

Other favorites of the Olympics included swimmer and Baltimore native Michael Phelps, who became the most decorated Olympian of all-time, and the USA women’s gymnastics team, who propelled themselves to team gold for the second time in Team USA history.