1 WTC tallest in NYC

Even though the oldest CHS students were just in second grade when the Twin Towers were attacked on 9/11, many still remember the day’s events. Now, the memorial building, 1 World Trade Center (1 WTC), which began construction in 2006, has become the tallest building in New York City.

1 WTC, also known as the Freedom Tower, was designed by David Childs. It became the tallest skyscraper in New York City April 30, surpassing the Empire State Building, which stands at 1,250 feet tall.

According to a May 3 Bloomberg Newsweek article, the WTC has already reached 1,271 feet. When the building is completed in 2013, it will be 1,776 feet.

According to an April 30 CNN article, the new WTC building surpassed its height achievement exactly one year after the killing of Osama Bin Laden, the mastermind of the 9/11 attacks, and about 10 years after the initial attack.

“I think this new building is a good idea because it represents how America has recovered from such a tragic event,” junior Georgia Jiang said. “The victims will never be forgotten.”

In addition to 1 WTC, five other WTC buildings are also being built for tenants to lease. 1 WTC has already leased space to Condé Nast, a travel magazine, and Chadbourne & Parke, a law firm.