Carroll to retire after 40 years, students and staff honor career

From months spent fighting the Vietcong in the Vietnam War to years spent teaching Economics, AP European History and Personal Finance, Michael Carroll’s life has been dedicated to helping others. This June, Carroll will retire from MCPS.

Carroll began teaching in 1972 and came to CHS in 1992.

“I have no regrets about anything I’ve done. I enjoy teaching, I enjoy the kids,” Carroll said. “You reach a point in your life when you know it’s time to do something else. You want to get out before you hate the profession and hate the kids.”

Carroll has held multiple positions at CHS including athletic director, varsity field hockey, baseball and boys basketball coach, coordinator for construction and resource teacher for the social studies department.

“His class has taught me more about life than any other class I have taken,” junior Christine Hildreth said.

Carroll’s warm and endearing personality has won over CHS.

“The best thing about Mr. Carroll is that his door is always open, be it for students [or] fellow social studies teachers,” social studies teacher Adam Field said. “Mr. Carroll can be counted on to provide sage advice on just about any topic, and he is always willing to listen. Luckily, he’s agreed to come back to give his Vietnam presentation to future freshmen, an absolute staple in the U.S. History curriculum here.”

After retirement, Carroll plans to pursue hobbies such as golf and spend more time with his grandchildren, but he is sad to leave.

“What other job can you have where you can get up and have fun going to work every day,” Carroll said.