CHS athletes make Washington Post All-Met List

Photo by Will Hyland

By Will Hyland, Senior Writer

CHS is known for its stellar academics, but its student athletes are incredibly skilled as well. Six CHS student athletes as well as one coach were named to the Washington Post’s Winter All-Met team, which is comprised of the top athletes and coaches in the DMV. The All Met teams feature a first and second team, as well as honorable mentions.

CHS swim and dive coach Christopher Tappis, who completed his fourth season as coach this past year, was named All-Met boys swimming Coach of the Year after helping CHS finish with the school’s first Maryland 4A/3A boys’ state title and first Washington Metropolitan Prep School League championships boys’ team title since 1989. He also helped CHS become the first public school to win Metros since 2000

Sophomore Noah Rutberg and junior Steven Mendley both also received honorable mentions for their performances for the team as CHS swim and dive won all five of its dual meets this season.

Senior forward Jack Taylor was named All-Met Player of the Year for his strong performances in CHS hockey’s run to their fourth consecutive state championship. Taylor, who became CHS’s all time leading goal scorer with 102 goals in 100 games, and has steadily improved each year peaking this season with 52 points in 23 games, the most in the MSHL.

“It’s really great to be on such a high performing and competitive team it has definitely made this season a lot of fun,” Taylor said.

Senior defenseman Dylan Healy and senior goalie Alex Plastrik were also honored as members of the second team and honorable mention respectively. Healy, who was named second team last year, and Plastrik were key in helping the bulldogs become one of the top defensive teams in the state.

Senior wrestler Jack Connolly, who was named to the first team, earned over 100 victories over the course of his career at CHS. Connolly won a county title during his junior year and was able to improve on his sixth place finish at states last year by defeating Chris Sanchez of Sherwood 6-4 in overtime to win the state title in 2018.

“We came to practice and worked hard each day. We never lost focus of our goals knowing this was our season to make history,” Connolly said. “This helped me during the final three weeks of the season during individual tournaments because for me that’s when it gets the most intense and you have the most to lose.”