New varsity football coach named

Albert+Song+was+named+the+new+varsity+football+head+coach+Feb.+2+and+hopes+to+bring+new+success+to+the+program.+

Photo Courtesy of Churchill Athletics

Albert Song was named the new varsity football head coach Feb. 2 and hopes to bring new success to the program.

By Nathan Deychman, Staff Writer

Albert Song was officially named the new CHS varsity head football coach Feb. 2.

After the resignation of former head coach Joe Allen, Athletic Director Scott Rivinius went through a lengthy hiring process before choosing Song over several other candidates.

“Coach Song stood out for his passion and enthusiasm for Churchill football,” Rivinius said. “He is highly organized, knowledgeable of the game and wants to build the best program he can, both on and off the field.”

Song is a ‘96 CHS graduate and has spent the past six years as an assistant coach for Seneca Valley High School.  Currently, Song is an english teacher at Seneca Valley and has served as the team’s offensive coordinator the past two seasons. Prior to coaching at Seneca Valley, Song was an assistant coach for CHS from 2006-2008, serving as the JV head coach during the 2008 season.

“It has been my dream to be in this position ever since I started coaching 11 years ago,” Song said.

Another effect of the new hire is the loss of CHS’s defensive coordinator, Willie Williams. Williams applied for the head coaching job and was even recommended by Allen. As a result of not getting his job, Williams has resigned from his position. Williams is a former NFL player and has several years of experience at the high school coaching level.

The Bulldogs came off a 6-4 season this past year and are looking to improve next year under new leadership and a new group of players.

“I believe Coach Song can build off of that success and get returning players as well as new players excited to play for Churchill football,” Rivinius said.

Hopefully, the CHS football program will return next year better than ever and prepared for a potential playoff berth.

“We need to bring the excitement back to the football program,” Song said.