Ice hockey glides through first games of season

Photo Courtesy of Zach Jacobs.

By Will Hyland, Sports Editor

CHS Varsity I hockey have won not one, not two but three Maryland division and state titles over the past three seasons. This year, they are looking to add a fourth.

After winning a record setting third straight state championship, CHS is once again among the favorites to win the state championship this year.

“Every year is different, so we are trying to build our own identity with this year’s team and players,” coach Ray Mckenzie said. “We are lucky to have some experienced and talented players playing for us.”

Senior assistant captain and defenseman Dylan Healy, who accumulated 19 points and was named second team All-Met last season, was apart of arguably the strongest defensive unit in the state last year, and it appears CHS will be just as stingy on that side of the ice again this year.

“I think with our really good defenseman returning from last year along with the additions of [junior] Jack Valas and freshman Matt Danziger, our defense may be the strongest it has ever been,” Healy said.

Senior assistant captain and defenseman Zach Jacobs, who totaled 10 goals and two assists last year, feels although the team faces pressure to succeed, their confidence and talent will ultimately help them accomplish their goal of another state title.

“There is some pressure to repeat as champions but we try to keep it out of mind and just focus on winning our next game,” Jacobs said. “I have a lot of confidence in the strength of both our offense and our defense in their ability to help us achieve our goals.”

CHS on the ice is off to a strong start so far winning their opening two games by a total score of 19-1,  putting them joint top of the standings. CHS next game is  Nov. 10 against Walt Whitman HS at Rockville Ice Arena.

Mckenzie, who is entering his 13th season as coach of Varsity 1 hockey, has experienced great success at CHS. He was won six state titles, five of which he won in the past seven years.

“The players are smart and understand that a lot is expected of them every year on and off the ice, regardless of how the previous year went,” Mckenzie said. “This team, especially the seniors, understand the high expectations are placed on them by the organization.  Whether they meet those expectations is up to them.”