CHS Hires New Athletic Director

Photo by Nathan Deychman

Jesse Smith will take over as the Athletic Director at CHS starting July 1, replacing Scott Rivinius.

By Nathan Deychman, Online Editor-in-Chief

After three years as CHS’ Athletic Director, Scott Rivinius is stepping down to allow more time for his family.

“My wife and I are having our third child this May, so I will need to be home more in the evenings,” Rivinius said.

Rivinius enjoys being able to see teams perform at their best and has dedicated a lot of time to ensuring that CHS athletes were given many opportunities to succeed.

“Mr. Rivinius is by far has been the best AD I’ve worked with,” boys lacrosse head coach Jeff Fritz said. “He is always available and does every possible thing in his power to help coaches get what they need to make sure our athletes have the best possible experience and results on the field.”

Starting this summer, Jesse Smith, the current Assistant Athletic Director at Northwest, will take over as CHS’ Athletic Director.

Smith is looking forward to the new opportunity and has high hopes for the development of those on CHS sports teams as both people and athletes.

“I’ve been an Assistant Athletic Director for some time but I always knew I would only leave that job for the right Athletic Director position,” Smith said. “I wanted a school that had great academics, athletics, and a strong staff with outstanding administrative support. When I saw the CHS position open up, I knew that it was the job I would want as it fit all of those criteria and potentially more.”

Smith has spent the last three years as Northwest’s Assistant Athletic Director and previously served as Seneca Valley’s Assistant Athletic Director for six years. Smith also has coaching experience, spending 15 years as a football coach, including time as the Assistant Head Coach at Seneca Valley. Smith was also an indoor track and field coach for two years.

“That coaching experience has given me a great understanding of what coaches and athletes go through on a daily basis in order to be the best at their sport,” Smith said.

Smith has high hopes for CHS athletics, including holding athletics to the same high standards as the academic programs and having the best coaches for every sport.

“My goal as an Athletic Director is to make sure that my student athletes are getting coached by outstanding coaches and developing incredible values, and then of course, I want to see them competing for state titles,” Smith said.

Smith is inheriting an athletics program that is successful in part due to the hard work of people like Rivinius, and he is eager to keep that success going.

“I’m so excited to get to CHS in order to start meeting all of my coaches and student athletes,” Smith said. “I want to get to know them all and get to work on making CHS athletics the envy of the state.”