Senior wrestler wins 100th match of career

Senior+Guilian+Groce+challenges+his+opponent+in+a+match+between+CHS%2C+Wootton+and+Watkins+Mill+high+school+on+Feb.+7.+

Senior Guilian Groce challenges his opponent in a match between CHS, Wootton and Watkins Mill high school on Feb. 7.

Photo Courtesy of Guilian Groce

Photo Courtesy of Guilian Groce

Photo Courtesy of Guilian Groce

By Jonathan Greenzaid, Online Sports Editor

After a gruesome physical and mental battle, the final whistle blows, and the referee lifts the victor’s hand for the 100th time in his career. This victor is none other than senior Guilian Groce.

Groce reached his 100th victory as a CHS wrestler against Clarksburg Feb. 3, a milestone that has also been completed by ‘14 graduates Adama Keita and Hunter Sutton.

“It felt awesome because it is just one of those things that most other people won’t feel,” Groce said. “I am one of the few in CHS history that has gotten 100 wins.”

According to Groce, he hopes to place first at States, and his strong work ethic gives him the confidence.

“My work ethic is something that most people in the county don’t understand,” Groce said. “I am putting in the work to achieve my goals. I’ve been in an environment to push myself my whole life because my dad is a bodybuilder, a top winning one, so all my life he has been training me to be the best that I can.”