Tennis starts strong

Returning from defending its girls doubles and mixed doubles state championship victories last season, the CHS girls tennis team is ready to be back on the court.

The players are excited to compete in matches, bond as a team and dress up on game days. Throughout the season, the girls become every close and support each other at matches, which is one of the keys for their success, according to sophomore Mina Jeremic.

“I am most looking forward to the camaraderie and sprit of the team, the sister-like feeling of being with my teammates, and the motivating competition at each match,” sophomore Carli Needle said.

Before each match, the team gets into a huddle and preforms its signature cheer that has long been a tradition for the Lady Bulldogs.

“The cheer brings a sense of excitement, confidence, and readiness before each match,” Needle said.

The players give each other all kinds of support, such as secret buddy gifts, that include candy and baked goods, and bagel breakfasts on game days.

“I usually give brownies, cake or cookies,” junior Jessica Dibble said.

The team is known for dressing up on game days and has had USA spirit and neon themed days.

“We do white out, always for Whitman and black out for Wooton,” junior Namirta Perincherry said.

Most of last year’s team is back together this season. Thirteen of the 19 players on the team are returning players, but new members are pumped to help get the team to a successful season.

“I’m really excited to be on the team and compete with other schools,” freshman Nina Aksentjevich said.

Although the Lady Bulldogs hope to improve on their third finish in counties last, head coach Meaghan Lee mostly wants to see her team enjoy the season.

“My goals are to have a successful season, but it is more important that the girls work hard and have fun,” Lee said.

As of Sept. 16, the team is 3-0. They have beaten Whitman, Blair, and BCC by scores of 6-1, 4-3, and 7-0. The team is preparing to face Richard Montgomery Sept. 23.