Golf hopes to bounce back from unsatisfying finish

Vengeance. You want it, but you have to work for it. This is the CHS golf team’s mentality this year, and anything less than a state championship win is a disappointment.

After giving up 13 combined strokes in a loss to rival Wootton in the last day of the 3A/4A state championship last season, the golf team is determined to bounce back and claim the title for its own this year.

According to head coach Michael Fisher, the players have nothing to be disappointed about and should keep their heads held high.

“The result last season was not tragic,” Fisher said. “We finished 5th in the regular season in the county last season.  To lead the states by eight after day one and come in 2nd five shots behind was our highlight.”

According to Fisher, the reason why the team got second place was not due to the team’s mediocre score, but because Wootton had a remarkable second day in the championship after a bad first one.

Junior captain Adam Gray put up good numbers in the state championship, shooting a 78 and a 74 in the two rounds of play. Gray thinks the team made a good run in the playoffs, but the team is now better prepared for this year’s state championship.

“Sometimes people have an off day on the course and unfortunately some of our guys didn’t play their best,” Gray said. “This season we will focus more on having better course management, being mentally tougher, being 100 percent committed and making each shot count.”

Fisher sees Gray as a key player this year, along with captains junior Luke Schaap and senior Louis Dubick. The team also looks to freshmen Dylan Rotter and Lena Capoccia, and sophomore Oliver Whatley to play well this season.

According to Whatley, who shot an 85 and an 87 in last year’s state championship, the team is much more competitive than it was last year in the hopes that the golfers will push each other to do the best.

“Our golf team is really competitive,” Whatley said. “Last year we were bad, but this year I think we are a lot better.”

Fisher hopes the team will make it back to the championship again this year, but he knows it won’t come easy.

“Wootton has improved from last season and so has WJ,” Fisher said. “We have a very talented team that is tournament tough and ready to compete for the State Championship.”