Strong track and field teams head to regionals

The boys and girls varsity track and field teams competed in the Montgomery Country Championships May 9, after performing well in the Penn Relays and Katie Jenkins Invitational.

According to junior Emma Coleman, the runners at the Penn Relays ran their “best times of the season.”

“I was pretty proud of my performance because I had great handoffs with my teammates,” Coleman said.

In the May 4 Katie Jenkins Invitational, senior Johnny Hein placed second in the quadrathalon—an event where runners participate in four track events and earn cumulative scores for their performances.

“The team performed well, lots of our runners achieving personal records in the events they ran, and our very own David Kaplan won the discus,” junior Breanna Boggan said.

In order to prepare for countries, the runners have been pushing themselves and relying on coaches to improve.

“We always have to commit ourselves 110 percent when it comes to practice and always have to trust the coaches’ workouts,” sophomore Noah Jenkel said.

In the Montgomery County Championships, junior Kyle Beatty came in first place in the pole vault competition and the boys 4 x 100 meter running team.

“I was extremely relieved because it was a close win, but my training paid off and it was nice knowing I could give my team a lead into their running counties,” Beatty said.