New coach brings hope for rebuilding team

With the hiring of new head coach Jamie Frank, the girls lacrosse team hopes to repeat last year’s triumphs and win another regional title.

The team has been the reigning regional champs for the past three years. After the loss of the seniors, including top scorers Mairin Hall and Maddy Flax, the Bulldogs will have to find a new way to maintain their title.

“We will continue to improve,” Frank said. “My goal is to develop skills and the ability to play as a team.”

Whitman fell to the Bulldogs April 15 with a 14-10 final score. The fifth game of the season added a tally to their  list of wins with a 12-11 success in overtime against Walter Johnson April 11 along with a 20-6 win against Paint Branch April 8.

After returning from spring break, the Bulldogs lost to state championship hopefuls Damascus, 18-5, April 4.

The team played over the break, securing a 15-5 win against Blake March 23 after a shaky start to the season with a 17-9 loss against Bullis March 21.

“We had a bumpy start, having to play a private school the first game out,” Frank said. “They start a week before we do.”

According to senior captain Emily Muscarella, Wootton and Sherwood will be some of the team’s biggest rivals this season.

After three years of being hopefuls for states, the goal of the team is to simply maintain its record from previous seasons. In these past three years, the team has had stellar results, with no more than three losses per season. However, they were not fortunate enough to continue past the state semifinals after they had won the regional championship.

I think we can get as far as we did in past years if we play as a team and work hard in practice,” Muscarella said.

The Lady Bulldogs will continue to train hard until their next game against Springbrook April 29 and for playoffs in May.

“Our goal now is to regroup and get some momentum playing together as we go forward in the season,” Frank said.  “We have a lot of talented players that, as they grow more confident, will be able to execute our game plan.”