Girls start frisbee team

It has been over 40 years since Title IX, the bill allowing women to participate in all sports, came into effect. However, co-ed teams allowing both genders are often dominated by males, making it intimidating for a girl to join the team. This was the case with the CHS ultimate frisbee team until two female students decided to do something about it.

“We have a boys team, and it’s supposedly co-ed, but no girls ever make it, so I thought it’d be a nice idea to make a girls team,” junior co-captain and creator Taylor Srebnick said.

Srebnick and sophomore co-captain and creator Jess Taylor are putting the girls frisbee team together.

“I hope to make it a bigger team and spread the sport to other schools in Montgomery County,” Srebnick said.

Only one other Montgomery County school, Paint Branch, has a girls frisbee team. Without much competition, the team is looking to play tournaments against other all-girl teams or co-ed teams, mostly from outside the area.

Besides the lack of competition, both captains found the hardest part of creating the team to be publicizing it.

“Many people already have sports they are committed to, or they really just don’t know what ultimate frisbee is all about,” Taylor said. “We know girls will love it, so we have been pushing many girls to at least try it.”

Their hard work has paid off. The first practice on Jan. 19 had over 10 girls and the turnout has stayed around that number since, but the team hopes to reach at least 14 girls by March.  The two girls also acquired Mark Ungerman, a highly qualified coach, for their budding team.

“He is my closest family friend in the area and he offered to coach,” Taylor said. “Years back he played for the USA Ultimate Frisbee team and actually traveled the world and played against other countries, so we have a very experienced coach on our hands.”

Although Taylor has been playing Frisbee competitively for five years, Srebnick just started playing intensely this year.

“It’s a great sport and a great way to stay in shape,” Taylor said. “It’s not just a guy sport and we hope to get that recognized.”

According to Srebnick, there will be an informational meeting at the beginning of March for those interested in joining the team, but practices have already started at Beverly Farms Elementary School.

Interested girls should join the WCHS Girls Ultimate Frisbee Team Facebook group for more information.