Athlete of the Month: Katie Jenkins

She is known as one of the best players in the county. Junior shortstop Katie Jenkins, co-captain of the softball team, has coaches throughout the county gushing over her offensive and defensive capabilities.

Katie has been captain of the team since she transfered her sophomore year from Holy Cross, where she played on the varsity softball team.

“Katie is a winner and a playmaker,” said softball coach and computer science teacher James Collins. “She attacks every sport she plays with 100 percent effort and determination. She does all she can to make those around her better players. She helps other players, offers to work with others and leads by example.”

According to co-captain senior Sarah Adams, Katie is excellent at hitting and uses her knowledge and understanding of softball to react with poise in difficult situations.

“Katie has played a lot of high level softball,” Adams said. “She is always really positive and she likes to help people with their skills if they don’t know how to do something.”

Her athleticism and teamwork have not only been noticed by her teammates, but also by her coach.

According to Collins, Katie only made two errors all year and ended the year as one of the leaders on the team in her numbers of runs, scores and stolen bases, with a batting average of .620.

“She is one of the best athletes I have ever coached—including boys sports,” Collins said. “She has great body control, a lot of speed and quick reflexes.”

Katie also plays softball for the Frederick Heartbreakers with girls from all over the Pennsylvania, Maryland and Virginia area. She previously played for the Virginia Shamrocks but stopped because of the intensive traveling.

Katie started playing baseball when she was 2 years old and switched to playing softball when she was 10 years old.

“My dad played baseball in college,” Jenkins said. “He was the one that got me into sports.”

Katie is also on the girls basketball team and has been playing basketball since third grade. However, she feels she is better at softball and hopes to pursue the sport in college.

“I think softball is just so much a part of my life,” Jenkins said. “It’s just kind of second nature. I have grown up around it.”