Lacrosse team starts season with high expectations against The Heights

With the help of younger players and senior leadership, boys lacrosse is looking forward to a successful season.

“Last year we lost four senior starters,” junior Matt Leonard said. “This won’t affect the team too much as we have new kids stepping up to fill their roles with just as much experience.”

Players worked hard both in the weight room and on the field throughout the off-season.

“We had practices all winter,” returning captain senior Cameron Moshyedi said. “During the fall and summer, most of our guys played on club teams in tournaments all over the area.”

This year, as always, the team looks to perform well and go deep into the postseason.

“With this team, we believe that there are no limits as to what we can accomplish, and hopefully we will have the opportunity to compete for a state championship,” Moshyedi said. “We have all the pieces, and we just need to put in the work as a team in order to make everything come together.”

Assistant coach Wayne Olan agrees that this year’s team has what it takes to go deep into playoffs.

“Although we’ve had great teams in the past, this group has shown a level of commitment to the program and team that makes them more likely to be successful,” Olan said. “We’re hoping that the school gets behind this team and comes out in full force to support them and help them reach all their goals.”

The team scrimmaged Sherwood March 16, faced The Heights March 22 and will travel to Pennsylvania and New Jersey over spring break to scrimmage higher level teams.