Athlete of the Month

Freshman Lucy Srour joined the CHS cross country team three months ago, never expecting to be one of the team’s star runners.

Srour started running competitively this year and remained undefeated against Maryland runners until she placed second by 2.7 seconds in the 4A West Regional Championship Nov. 3. She won the varsity title in counties Oct. 22, which featured all 25 MCPS high schools, making her the first freshman to win the title since 2003.

“Even though it is very difficult for a freshman to win the varsity title, I was not surprised Lucy won,” cross country coach Christine Carlson said. “She is someone gifted with natural talent who still works her hardest and continues to improve.”

Srour beat 150 runners in the county race with a winning time of 18 minutes and 51 seconds.

“I was definitely surprised that I won,” Srour said. “It was a really close race; I only won by a second.”

According to senior cross country captain Caroline Su, Srour has contributed to keeping the team’s overall score low by winning her races every week. Despite being a freshman in her first cross country season, Srour quickly became an imperative part of the team.

“It’s not that serious beating some of the older cross country members,” Srour said. “We all hang out. It doesn’t really feel like they are older than me.”

According to Carlson, varsity cross country racing is competitive. It is rare for freshmen runners to gain a lot of notice, especially in their first season.

“She runs with the same dedication and willingness to work hard that is expected of upperclassmen runners and leaders,” Carlson said.

Srour was the number one runner in eighth grade and number two in seventh grade on the Hoover Middle School cross country team. According to Srour, however, the CHS team is harder and more competitive.

“I have always liked running,” Srour said. “I thought it would be a fun sport and a lot of my friends were doing it too.”

Both Srour’s mother and father are runners, and while they do not race together often, Srour and her family always participate in a Thanksgiving 5K race in Frederick and the Potomac Autism Speaks run.

“When I watch her run, I can tell she’s there to perform and run her best, whether it’s during practice or a competition,” Carlson said.

Srour’s early achievements have her teammates and coaches expecting improvement and even greater success throughout the rest of her high school cross country career.

“Lucy not only wins but she is confident,” coach Paul Jacobson said. “She is going to be one of CHS’ greatest female runners.”