Defense leads field hockey to undefeated start

After losing five seniors last year, the CHS field hockey team kicked off the season with a 5-0 win Sept. 2 against Wheaton, a 2-0 win against B-CC Sept. 13, a 7-0 win against Gaithersburg Sept. 15, a 3-1 win against Clarksburg Sept. 18 and an 8-0 win against Einstein Sept. 19.

CHS defeated Wheaton with goals from junior captain Jenn Shim and seniors Roshan Promisel and Maddy Flax.

“Our focus was to play together as a team, use the whole field and have positive communication on the field,” Shim said.

The Bulldogs continued their success into the second half, scoring two more goals and winning the game 5-0. The team is working on a new defense system this year in hopes of continuing its winning streak.

“Alyssa Weiss was able to shut down many of Wheaton’s advances up the field,” head coach Cay Miller said. “There is so much talent on this team that even girls who aren’t starting are very skilled players.”

CHS earned a 2-0 victory on Sept. 13 against B-CC with goals again from Flax and Promisel.

“The whole team played very well together,” Miller said. “The forwards and midfielders made great cuts and frequently beat B-CC to the ball. B-CC made ten penalty corners and the defense unit held strong each time.”

Gaithersburg came to play Sept. 15, and CHS defeated the Trogans 7-0 with goals from Promisel, Shim, Flax and senior Alex Fox and junior Catherine Roberts.

“The offense worked together and made some great passes down the field,” Miller said. “The defense held tough and kept the ball away from our goal.”

CHS beat Clarksburg Sept. 17, 3-1, with goals from juniors Christina Michaels and Shim.

“Clarksburg played a tough game,” Miller said. “We had to step up our game to play against them. We let up for a short moment in the second half and they capitalized on it and scored a goal. We refocused after that goal and were able to hold them off. ”

CHS defeated Einstein 8-0 Sept. 19 with goals from juniors Shim, Mary Lee Lawrence, Roberts and Michaels and seniors Flax, Promisel and Fox.

“We had some really effective plays,” Shim said. “Our team just needs to focus on giving 110 percent on the field.”

The team has been practicing since the summer, but the players still trained in the off-season. Some players attended training camps and daily workout sessions.

“Returning players worked out over the summer and showed up to preseason in shape,” Miller said. “They made it through a tough preseason, and their hard work is paying off on the field.”

The Bulldogs play Paint Branch Sept. 27.