Coed Volleyball Preview

The coed volleyball team is looking forward to a solid season, as it retained the majority of its talent from last year.

“We should be pretty good this year,” coach Michael Endler said.  “We have many returning starters back from last season. Last year, [2010 alumna] Erica Chao was a great senior setter, this year sophomore Adrianna Lee will be playing the setter position.”

Although the team faltered in its first scrimmage against Northwood, it bounced back with a March 16 victory in a scrimmage against Clarksburg.

“Our only weakness is on-court communication, which I hope will improve as the season goes on,” Endler said.

The team has focused on coming together throughout their pre-season practices, where it has been working on playing well and communication. Though they are already strong on the defensive end, the Bulldogs have been working to improve offensively and are welcoming new talent led by seniors Stephen Hauschild and Olivia Chao.

“Our strengths are definitely blocking and hitting,” senior Clara Sze said. “Stephen has been doing a good job with blocking, but our weaknesses might be on the passing side.”

Standout players include Chao, Arianna Lee and Wendy Zao. Senior Kristie Moy and Sze, a likely captain, are expected to provide leadership for the girls. The boys will look to veteran players, seniors Jesse Wu and James Lee.

The team kicks off its season today with a match against Whitman.