Field hockety suffers slow start, aims to improve

The field hockey team was defeated 3-1 in a rainy battle against Poolesville Sept. 16. The lone goal in the game was scored by junior Maddy Flax.

The loss to Poolesville dropped the Lady Bulldogs record to 0-3. Still, the team finds that it has improved through the losses.

“[We are] just getting used to playing together,” senior captain Sara Satin said. “There is improvement, although it is not showing.”

The Bulldogs were looking for the game against Poolesville to be a “bounce-back” game, after falling in their first two games. The team fell to Clarksburg Sept. 3 and Holy Cross Sept. 7.

“We had pretty high expectations because every individual on the team has a lot of skill to offer,” junior Alex Fox said. “Even with our slow start, I feel our team is good enough to jump right back in and turn the season around.”

In the home opener, the Lady Bulldogs fell 5-1 to Holy Cross. Despite leading 1-0 at halftime after a goal by senior Hannah Phillips, Holy Cross came out and scored five goals in the second half to give them the edge.

“We knew it would be hard,” Satin said. “We have one of the toughest schedules this year. [We need] more communication in games.”

This season, CHS also welcomes Catherine Miller as the team’s new head coach. Miller had previously coached JV at CHS and is now back as the varsity coach.

“[Coach Miller] loves conditioning so we are all very fit and in shape,” Fox said. “[She is] very understanding and easy to talk to.”

The Lady Bulldogs next game will be today, Sept. 29 at 5 p.m. against Richard Montgomery.