Baseball reaches regional semifinals in strong turn around season, but loses to Sherwood

The baseball team’s strong season came to a halt when it fell to Sherwood May 19 in the regional semifinals of the playoffs.

The team fell behind early to the Warriors and could not recover. The 18-7 loss snapped the Bulldogs’ eight-game winning streak dating back to April 24.

The reason the game was away was because they received the second seed over CHS, despite losing to the Bulldogs earlier in the season. This lapse in record was because the  senior game against Kennedy was rained out May 12. CHS ended with a final record of 12-3 whereas Sherwood ended with a record of 13-3.

The cancelation of the game forced CHS to play B-CC for their first playoff game, and CHS won 7-1, with strong performances throughout the team.

Senior captain Bryce Shemer improved his record for the year to 7-0 after giving up only one run in six innings of work.

“I felt pretty good,” Shemer said. “We all came out to play.”

The lone blemish came on a solo homerun by B-CC in the top of the fourth inning.

“I gave him a pitch he could crush on a 2-0 count and he took it [for a strike],” Shemer said. “I had to come with it again.”

The majority of the offense for the Bulldogs came in the four-run fifth inning. After senior Seiya Eguchi got hit and Shemer got on base, senior captain Harris Fanaroff doubled to center to bring in two runs.

Seniors Eric Skrzyniarz and Brett Mead proceeded to hit back-to-back doubles to raise the score and bring the lead to six.

“Our hitting took a while to come around,” head coach Scott Blackwood said. “When it comes, it comes.”

In the seventh inning, senior Jameson McGrane closed the game out with a 1-2-3 inning to finalize the win.

“I never thought we clinched it,” Blackwood said. “[The] only time was when Bryce caught the ball at second base. This game is too crazy.”

According to Blackwood, having the seniors on the team was a great experience.

“I wish I had them earlier,” Blackwood said. “Sometimes seniors get lazy, but not them. They worked harder and harder [as the season progressed.]”