Co-ed volleyball suffers early postseason exit

The co-ed volleyball team’s playoff run was cut short by a 3-0 loss to undefeated Sherwood May 8 in the quarterfinals. The Bulldogs ended the regular season with an 8-3 record and had plenty of momentum going into the playoffs thanks to good performances by everyone on the team down the stretch.

“The key factor to the success this season was an experienced and talented group and everyone helped the team achieve their record,” coach Mike Endler said.

Leading up to the playoffs, the team defeated Blair 3-0 April 24. Everything went well as they played a perfect game; neither serving, passing, hitting nor defense was poor against the weaker team.

“We played well as a team,” junior captain Alex Kantor said. “That allowed [junior captain] Erica Chao to see the hitters well.”

CHS faced Wheaton April 29 and Kennedy May 1 and easily beat both teams 3-0, extending the team’s winning streak to four games.

“We had no problem [against Wheaton and Kennedy],” Endler said. “We got playing time for everyone on the team.”

The squad did not face Rockville May 4 because the school was closed because of the of swine flu. Due to this cancellation, the Bulldogs received a lower seed because they only played 11 games rather than 12. This gave CHS the eighth seed, forcing them to face Sherwood in the quarterfinals.

Whitman forced the Bulldogs to five games in the regular season, but that was not the case in the first round of the playoffs as CHS won 3-0.

“They were a good team,” Chao said. “It felt like they came into the game and did not want to win.”

CHS lost 3-0 to Sherwood in the regular season, just like the county quarterfinals. Sherwood was definitely the better team, but the Bulldogs fought the whole game, never giving up.

Throughout the season, the Bulldogs dominated most of the teams they played and handed rival Wootton its first loss. The team had the talent to make it to the finals, even though they lacked size.

“We had a great group of players who played very well together, very strong hitting from the whole team both boys and girls,” Endler said. “Overall, I see a super group that really enjoys playing the game, and I had a great time coaching, and I will miss the five departing seniors very much.”