Remakes cannot replace the classics

Remakes cannot replace the classics

By Fatima Yazdi, Features Editor

Hakuna matata, just keep swimming, go the distance- all phrases that are guaranteed to bring back a flood of childhood memories. At one point or another, we’ve all experienced the magical sensation one feels while watching a classic Disney movie. However, recently, Disney has been releasing remakes, including live-action versions of these classics, and fans don’t know how to feel about it.

Although these remakes are entertaining and have received positive feedback, ultimately, they can never replace or be compared to Disney’s classics. Disney movies all captured our hearts with their lovable characters, captivating plots and of course, thrilling soundtracks. These remakes often tweak these classics with a modern twist on the characters, plots and songs.

That is what tends to be the greatest concern of Disney fans, that these remakes aren’t doing these classics justice, but rather changing them to be something they’re not, or something they weren’t originally intended to be.

Disney has remade many of its classics, from princesses including The Sleeping Beauty and Beauty and the Beast to The Jungle Book and The Lion King coming in 2019.

One of the most talked about live-action remakes is Alice Through the Looking Glass, a remake of the famous Alice in Wonderland. One of fans’ greatest critiques was the portrayal of the Mad Hatter by Johnny Depp.

According to a March, 2016 cinelinx article, Depp’s “interpretation of the Mad Hatter is a bit too versatile. He doesn’t seem to know what to do with the character so he does…everything.” Additionally, fans were also critical of the movie’s plot and how it was an inaccurate resemblance of the original movie.

However, over the years, there have been live-action remakes with stellar CGI and casting which fans have loved. One of these remakes includes a spin on the classic 1950s Cinderella movie.

According to Rotten Tomatoes, a fan thought that “the live-action Cinderella grasps everything magnificent about the 1950s animated landmark and updates its presentation with grand effects and scale that’s both magical and memorable as the original.”

Although recreating a Disney classic which has already won a place in many of our hearts is a difficult task, Cinderella (2015) exceeded fans’ expectations and was received relatively well.

Despite all of the reviews on these remakes, Disney fans continue to side with Disney’s classics and claim nothing can ever replace them.

Fatima Yazdi, Features Editor

Fatima is part of the class of 2020 and currently serves as one of the three Features Editors. She’s a very dedicated member of The...