No Need to Break Out in Tears Over a Break Out on Your Face

Photo by Balbina Yang

Many students resort to various creams and gels to attempt to manage their acne.

By Balbina Yang, Features Editor

Acne: a chronic skin condition that produces bumps and painful red spots because of hormones, genetics, and stress. Acne is aperfectly normal thing to have, especially when one is a teenager, yet this is usually not viewed as such.

According to the American Academy of Dermatology, acne is the most common skin condition in the U.S.; it affects up to 50 million Americans every year.

Despite such prevalence, however, acne can lead to negative social stigmas, which in turn results in low self-esteem and lack of confidence.

For example, according to a Canadian acne website called dermatology.ca, of a study of 500 patients, depression and poor body image are often consequences of acne. Especially since acne coincides with the onset of puberty, feelings of uncertainty about oneself is typically experienced by adolescents all over the world.

Coupled with social pressures, such as school and the stigma to be “cool”, it is not surprising that acne can be a drastic detriment to a teenager’s mind. Yet, unlike these gloomy social stigmas surrounding acne, many CHS students do not mind and even go as far as to not even notice it.

Although acne can be unsightly, it is – and should not be – viewed as ugly at all. Making fun of a high school student because of their spots is just pointless since that is the normal time to get breakouts.

Of course, besides pressures from peers at school or at work, there are also pressures from the media, that often portray models with perfectly clear and glowing skin.

With the many models plastered on magazines and shopping catalogues, it can be difficult to not get caught up with the belief that clear skin is what makes one beautiful.

Nonetheless, acne is painful and unrelenting, and with the multitude of skin types out there, it is not always easy to combat it. While getting rid of acne may be a long, tiring process, it is sometimes worth the patience especially when one follows a strict facial regime and uses products that actually work.

For example, one should always wash the face at least twice a day; both times with soap and with any medications or treatments for acne. For medications, gels such as Adapalene (prescription), facial pads such as Glycolix, and natural oils such as tea tree oil, can help to reduce acne and their scars.

While acne seems scarce at CHS, it is not uncommon. However, with social media and new beauty standards, technology has drastically changed our ways in viewing our self worth and having acne does little to improve them even when it is merely a common skin condition. So, don’t let acne dictate your life because everybody gets it.