WCHS students drum up support at Potomac Day

Photo by Jeremy Fredricks.

Seniors Aryaan Duggal (right) and Ryan Jen (left) show off what they did at Potomac Day on Oct. 23. Duggal manned the stand at Kicks Karate, while Jen led the WCHS drumline in the parade.

By Jeremy Fredricks, Editor-in-Chief

From a parade — complete with the WCHS drumline — to dozens of stands representing local businesses, Potomac Day 2021 marked a return to the annual October tradition. 

It began with a parade featuring local youth groups, politicians and performers, followed by the fair festivities, including stands for businesses, carnival rides, games for children, food and a classic car voting contest. The event took place in Potomac Village on Oct. 23, lasting for more than five hours.

“I got there early — to the parade grounds — because the WCHS cheerleaders and drumline were going to be in [Potomac Day],” WCHS senior and drumline captain Ryan Jen said. “I had to get there and get everyone to congregate. We got warmed up and practiced before the parade with our coach. And, after that we went through the parade.”

Jen and the drumline had spent the week before practicing their songs and were ready to show it off to the crowd lined up along River Road. Senior Aryaan Duggal of Kicks Karate, a family martial arts academy, also participated in the parade. He led the karate students before quickly rushing back to Potomac Village to run the stand.

“I was allowed to manage the stand alone,” Duggal said. “We brought pads out and were having fun. We also trained for the demo, which we’re having in a few weeks. And, I got [34] sign-ups [for trials].”

Kicks Karate was among dozens of businesses that had stands. Local private schools, cleaning services and political parties set up stands, handed out free candy and other promotional items to the people that passed by. 

Potomac Day was canceled last year because of COVID-19, the second time it did not occur (the first was in 2002 when there were concerns about the D.C. Sniper). Potomac Day is run by the Potomac Chamber of Commerce, which helps local businesses, and has been in charge of the event for decades.

“It feels good to represent [Potomac],” Jen said. “We’ve only been in this parade for this year and the one two years ago. We’re pretty new to the parade but it’s good to let people know that we’re Churchill and we’re here.”

From looking at classic cars to meeting politicians to checking out local businesses, Potomac Day has something for everyone.  

“Potomac Day is a good day to work,” Duggal said. “It’s a great time to see small businesses. The lady beside us had a soap store that she just started. It’s a good thing for the community because you get to see a lot more small businesses. You get to meet a lot of new people.”