Quarantine puppies lift students’ spirits during online school

Since+Sammy+is+still+a+young+puppy%2C+she+requires+a+lot+of+exercise.+The+Kutsons+take+her+outside+multiple+times+a+day+and+she+absolutely+loves+it.+

Photo courtesy of Catherine Kutson

Since Sammy is still a young puppy, she requires a lot of exercise. The Kutsons take her outside multiple times a day and she absolutely loves it.

By Ally Salzberg, Opinions Editor

We all expected to be home from school for a mere two weeks, but that’s not how it turned out. Being stuck in the same house with the same people doing the same thing day after day gets boring really fast. What better way to be entertained than to get a dog?

It seemed as though everyone was driving across state lines to pick up furry friends during quarantine. Having all of the extra time on your hands, it was a great time to get a pet. But now, we are expected to do all of our normal activities virtually, taking up time again. So how have the animals adjusted to life without all of the attention?

“We decided to get a dog because we thought it would help us stay entertained and happy,” junior Eliot Dubick said. He and his family got their dog, Ace, at the beginning of the summer.

Having a dog is a lot of work in itself. But having a new puppy is even more of a challenge. With a puppy, you constantly have to be on top of them, making sure they don’t have an accident in the house or destroy any furniture, not to mention feeding and walking them multiple times a day. Having these responsibilities during a day of online school requires good time management and patience.

“So far, it’s been pretty easy,” Dubick said. “A lot of times he will sit on my chest while I am doing work. I often take Ace out on walks during our breaks, and I feed him his food. My family is very helpful and we all take turns doing stuff for the dog.”

Senior Catherine Kutson and her family drove to Ohio right at the beginning of the school year to pick up their puppy, Sammy.

“Because she is still such a young puppy, handling both her and school has been a bit of a struggle, but I am slowly getting the hang of it,” Kutson said.

Having a dog in the house is like having a new family member; it’s exciting and nerve wracking all at the same time. Dogs can easily lift your spirits with the bat of an eye, something we could all use during these confusing times.

“Ever since we got Sammy, I have noticed my whole family seems to be happier,” Kutson said. “Although she can be a little much to handle, I wouldn’t trade this experience for anything else.”