TOTM: Gary Rogers

TOTM: Gary Rogers

By Fatima Yazdi, Features Editor

Ever wanted to meet a teacher who has extensive knowledge on current events, global warming, pollution, energy conservation or ecological footprints? Well look no further, as WCHS has the teacher for you.

A member of the science department, Gary Rogers teaches AP Environmental Science and is a science Resource teacher. Rogers goes above and beyond to ensure his students are not only learning, but also enjoying class. His personal experiences and lifestyle allow him to connect with students on a unique level and understand each one of his students.

“While teaching here at Churchill, my wife and I have been raising our own three children,” Rogers said. “Being a Dad has definitely helped to shape who I am as an educator.”

Rogers’s teaching style is very relaxed and flexible, as he is willing to help his students in any way to ensure their success. He understands that his junior and senior students have busy schedules, so he often incorporates personal stories and jokes relevant to the topic in order to keep class interesting.

Having time to get to know the Churchill community has helped me to better understand the students,” Rogers said. “I try to be relatable to students, share a little about me and use humor as much as possible.”

Rogers’ 24 years as an educator and 13 years at WCHS have allowed him to help students grow throughout their high school journeys. Because to teach many students with various interests, he tries his best to adapt to all students’ needs and preferred learning styles.

“Mr. Rogers is a teacher who really cares about the success of his students,” junior Isabelle Cherot said. “It’s evident how much time he puts into making his lesson plans, which means a lot to us.”

Rogers’ greatest strength is his ability to connect to his students through his passion for science. His interest in his field is evident in every lesson and conversation he holds with students, which translates into his students’ performance.

“I love the outdoors,” Rogers said. “Helping others find their excitement for nature and conserving this resource for future generations is a passion.”

Fatima Yazdi, Features Editor

Fatima is part of the class of 2020 and currently serves as one of the three Features Editors. She’s a very dedicated member of The...