WCHS snowed in by controversy

Photo courtesy of Creative Commons.

By Ari Dimitoglou, Staff Writer

For the past couple of months, MCPS has had a plethora of early releases, two-hour delays and days off of school due to weather-related issues. As much as students enjoy the shortened days and weeks, the snow days add up, possibly causing a shorter spring and summer break.

Many parents, as well as teachers, supported Md. Gov. Larry Hogan’s request to shorten spring break instead of extending the school year due to snow days. Last year, Hogan changed the 2018-2019 MCPS calendar, shortening spring break from seven days to three days. However, some students believe that shortening spring break due to snow is imprudent as the break is already shortened.

“Adding more days to summer vacation has less of an effect, as it is much longer,” freshman Queen Balina said. “Since many families have already made plans to travel during break, a noticeably large number of students would miss school anyways.”

Even though the snow days don’t affect students’ academic performance in a detrimental way, they do have an effect on how and what students learn during the school day.

“Because teachers often cut information not considered essential for tests, I am learning less than what I would otherwise,” Balina said.

Nevertheless, there are students that see snow days as an opportunity to get caught up with their schoolwork and to be able to step out of the fast-paced lifestyle that they are used to.

“I don’t think that we need exactly 180 days in order to have a well-functioning school year,” freshman Kelsey Kwan said.“It is more important that we are able to understand the topics that are being taught in the amount of time provided.”

According to Bethesda Magazine, MCPS has already made the decision to keep students in school until June 15.

Many people feel that by including teachers, parents and even students in the decision making process, more personal opinions can be heard and MCPS students will be prepared for a more successful and organized school year.

“Staff and students have a lot of important insight to offer, and decisions that are made regarding their lives and work should definitely address their issues, concerns, wants and needs,” Balina said.