Club Corner: Key club

The Key Club is a global organization that strives to help different aspects of the community and provides its members with the opportunity to build character and develop leadership skills. The CHS chapter meets at least twice a month in room 126.

The club is broken down into five subcommittees: Tutoring, Elderly Care, Cancer Research, Fundraising and the Green Team, which works on environmental issues. Each division concentrates on different community service projects and fundraisers.

“We fundraise, but equally important, we raise awareness through bake sales, local restaurant discount nights, holiday cookie sales [and holiday themed] candy grams,” president Tessa Port said.

The club aides several notable world organizations which raise money to improve education, hunger and living styles for children around the world. The money is then collected from District 7, all the key clubs in the area, and donated to the charities.

“The Churchill Key Club encourages the Churchill community to reach out and support Key Club and the organizations we strive to help, like the Ronald McDonald Foundations and many more by collecting tabs off soda cans,” Port said. “Once [District 7] receives the tabs, they are recycled for a money value. This money is then used by the Charities to benefit the families that rely on the Ronald McDonald Houses.”

According to KeyClub.org, it is the largest club in the world and is available for more than 5,000 high schools.