Introducing this year’s cast of who’s leaving WCHS?

Mr.+Haroot+H+Hakopian+is+seen+celebrating+at+WCHS+for+his+retirement+on+April+16%2C+2023.+Hakopian+has+retired+after+teaching+at+WCHS+for+twenty-one+years.+

Photo Courtesy of @hakopiah on Instagram

Mr. Haroot “H” Hakopian is seen celebrating at WCHS for his retirement on April 16, 2023. Hakopian has retired after teaching at WCHS for twenty-one years.

By Kendyl Groisser, Assistant Online Editor

As the school year comes to a close, some of WCHS’ beloved teachers prepare to say farewell to their students and colleagues with a heart full of joy and gratitude. These teachers are able to look back on a fulfilling career and reflect on their favorite memories at WCHS. While some have asked to remain anonymous, there are a few WCHS teachers we are able to say goodbye to.

Haroot Hakopian
Hakopian has been a dedicated WCHS teacher for 21 years for a total of 30 years teaching at MCPS schools. At WCHS, Hakopian has taught AP Literature and Honors English 11. His most favorite subject to teach was his AP Literature classes because of the freedom and flexibility he was given in his lessons. Hakopian’s favorite memory was a time when WCHS came together as a community and counter protested against Westboro Baptist Church.

“Westboro Baptist Church decided they were going to protest at Churchill,” Hakopian said. “The entire student body came together and organized a counter-protest that included signs, a huge piece of art that hangs over the Bulldog lobby, and a bunch of other activities that brought the entire student body together.”

While Hakopian has loved working at WCHS and dedicated decades of years to it, he is retiring to go to Georgetown University as the Assistant Dean of Student Affairs in the School of Continuing Studies. Students and teachers alike are sad to see him go, but proud of his accomplishments.

Matthew Kloss
Kloss has been teaching as an English 10 teacher at WCHS for two years along with being a teacher at another school for an additional year. His experience as an English 10 teacher and as the yearbook advisor were his favorite memories. When asked what he would miss most about WCHS he said: “The Students, I have learned a lot from them.”

Kloss will miss the students that he has built relationships with whether it be in his yearbook or English 10 students. While Kloss has only been at WCHS for a short period of time, he is going to Halifax, Nova Scotia in Canada.

Amy Malone
Malone has been teaching at WCHS for five years and has been a teacher for an additional 26. She has taught at other MCPS schools including Richard Montgomery High School, Einstein High School and Wootton High School. She has been teaching English 10 and English 12 and has enjoyed being able to get to know her students along the way. Her favorite part about teaching has been being able to get to know her students and learn from them in addition to them learning from her.

“My favorite part is hanging out with students at lunch time with pizza parties and stuff like that,” Malone said.

After teaching at WCHS for a few years, Malone will be continuing her teaching career at Paint Branch High School.

Aishling McGinty
McGinty has been teaching at WCHS for two years and has been teaching overall for 19 years. She has taught both Honors English 11 and AP English Literature and has loved to teach both equally.

“I have loved teaching AP Literature while I was here. McGinty said. “It was incredible to work with the Seniors who were on the precipice of leaving and could truly engage in the complex concepts and literature to an astounding degree.”

McGinty’s favorite memory was being able to attend Senior day for both of her years at WCHS. McGinty will miss her students along with the friends she has made throughout her few years at WCHS. Before McGinty taught at WCHS he taught at Walter Johnson High School and she will be returning back next year.

“I worked there before coming here and missed my teacher besties and wanted to return,” McGinty said.

When teachers leave a school, it affects the entire community. While it’s a challenging time, it also presents an opportunity for growth and WCHS, as a community, should appreciate these teachers. Working together is key to the success of the school and its community.