Women’s History Month watchlist

Photo by Melissa Redlich.

March is Women’s History Month! Here are some women-cast, directed and written movies to get you in the spirit.

By Melissa Redlich, Features Editor

Women represent sixteen percent of directors working on 2020-2021s highest grossing films. According to Forbes, this is an all time high. This should not be the all time high. Women deserve both more recognition and more opportunities to work in film. So, before the next movie night, look at this list and choose one of these great flicks. 

TV Shows – 

If there is not enough time to watch a movie, how about a TV show? Here are some of the best television series to watch, while supporting and being inspired by female actors, directors and writers!

“Big Little Lies”

With a female oriented cast starring Nicole Kidman, Reese Witherspoon, Meryl Streep, Laura Dern, Zoë Kravitz and Shailene Woodley, “Big Little Lies” tells the story about six mothers and what goes on behind the scenes of their so-called “perfect” lives in Monterey, California. This thriller is based on the bestselling series of books by Liane Moritary. Trigger warning: themes of sexual violence and abuse. Available to stream on Hulu. 

“Gilmore Girls”

This feel-good show stars single mom, Lorelei (Lauren Graham) and daughter, Rory (Alexis Bledel) as they both grow up in the fictional small town of Stars Hollow, Connecticut. Written by Amy Sherman-Palladino, this seven season comedy-drama has a little bit of everything! Available to stream on Netflix, Amazon Prime, VUDU, Vudu Movie, and Apple TV. 

“The Handmaid’s Tale” 

An American dystopian television series that recently announced an upcoming 5th season, “The Handmaid’s Tale” tells the story of June Osborne (Elizabeth Moss), who defied Gilead, the totalitarian government formed after the fictitious second United States Civil War. Based on the 1985 novel of the same name by Margaret Atwood, this show depicts a society in which women are forced to conceive and bear children for others. While this subject matter may be hard to watch, “The Handmaid’s Tale” is an important story to understand the environmental crisis and challenges these women face. Available to stream on Hulu. 

“Insecure”

Featuring Issa Rae, “Insecure” tells the modern day story following the friendship of two Black women and all of their awkward and uncomfortable experiences. This five season series not only starred Issa Rae, but she was the woman who created it! Available to stream on Hulu, Disney Plus, and ESPN Plus. 

Historical/Historical Fiction – 

Historical films not only help people better understand history, they also are interesting and fun to watch. Here are some historical/historical fiction movies to binge.

“Self Made”

Octavia Spencer stars in the Netflix film “Self Made,” which is the fictionalized story of the Black hair care pioneer and mogul Madam C. J. Walker. The movie explores how Madam C. J. Walker became America’s first Black, self-made female millionaire and how she overcame all the obstacles in her way. Available to stream on Netflix. 

“Queen of Katwe” and “The Queen’s Gambit”

Disney Channel presents Nakky Harriet in Queen of Katwe, telling the true story of Phiona Mutesi, a girl living in Katwe, a slum in Uganda, who started playing chess at the age of nine. Phiona Mutesi became a Women Candidate master after her victories in international tournaments, including the World Chess Olympiads. (Available to stream on Disney Plus, Amazon Prime, and Apple TV). Also in the realm of chess, “The Queen’s Gambit” is a mini series set during the Cold War that depicts how orphan Beth Harmon (Anya Taylor-Joy) became one of the greatest chess players in the world. Available to stream on Netflix. 

“Hidden Figures”

Released in 2016, “Hidden Figures” tells the real story of three brilliant African-American mathematicians Mary Jackson (Janelle Monae), Dorothy Vaughan (Octavia Spencer), and Katherine Johnson (Taraji P. Henson) working at NASA during the early years of the U.S. space program. They play an essential role, paving the way for women in STEM. Available to stream on Disney Plus, Amazon Prime, and Apple TV.

“The Post”

Meryl Streep plays Katharine Graham, the President of the New York Times, during the Watergate scandals. Graham has a critical decision to make as she grapples with losing her company or sharing an explosive secret with the public. Available to stream on Roku, Amazon Prime, and Apple TV.

“Bombshell”

“Bombshell,” starring Margot Robbie, Nicole Kidman, and Charlize Theron, depicts the true disaster that occured when three women working for Fox News Channel risked their careers by exposing the sexual harrassment they recieved at work from longtime Fox News Chairmen and CEO, Roger Ailes (John Lithgow).

Documentaries –

Instead of reading a biography, why not watch a movie? These spectacular films go in depth to highlight women who have changed history. Be ready to be inspired!

“Miss Americana”

Documenting Taylor Swift’s life, “Miss Americana,” tells the story of how Swift achieved her fame and how she overcame the obstacles of being a young woman in music. Available to stream on Netflix.  

“I Am Greta”

Greta Thunberg, a nineteen-year-old Swedish activist known for fighting against climate change, stars in her own documentary. Available to stream on Hulu, this movie explores how Greta began her international campaign.  

“On the Basis of Sex”

In “On the Basis of Sex,” beloved Supreme Court Judge Ruth Bader Ginsburg talks about her life and path to the highest level of the judicial system as a women in the early 1990s. Available to stream on Apple TV and YouTube, this inspirational film encourages women to reach for the stars!

Hodgepodge of Movies –

Although these films do not fit into any particular category, they are surely fan favorites. 

“Moxie”

Moxie focuses on a teenage girl who creates an anonymous magazine about the sexism she sees at her high school. A true coming-of-age film, Vivian Carter (Hadley Robinson) learns what “feminism” really means. Available to stream on Netflix. 

“Little Women”

Directed by Greta Gerwig and starring Saoirse Ronan, Florence Pugh, Emma Watson, Eliza Scanlen, Meryl Streep, and Laura Dern, this movie tells the twists and turns of the four March sisters during the 1860s in Massachusetts. Based on the novel by Louisa May Alcott, “Little Women” has a little bit of everything and thoughtfully portrays women as heroes and mentors. Available to stream Vudu, ITunes, and Google Play. 

“Lady Bird”

Also directed by Greta Gerwig and starring Saoirse Ronan, this movie documents the struggles of Christine “Lady Bird” as she learns to find herself, and the journey that a teenage girl faces in her senior year of high school before going to college. Available to stream on Netflix.

“The 355”

Together, four women embark on a journey to save the world. Starring Jessica Chastain, Fan Bingbing, Lupita Nyong’o, Penélope Cruz, and Diane Kruger as they try to stay one step ahead of the mysterious figure tracking them, this spy film showcases women changing the world. Available in theaters.

“The Power of the Dog”

“The Power of the Dog” was written and directed by Jane Campion and nominated for 12 Oscars. About a rancher who mocks and verbally abuses his brother and brother’s wife, this western film is stereotypically male oriented. Considering it was directed by a woman, paves the way for a more equal future in film. Available in theaters. 

“Nomadland”

Directed by Chloe Zhao, “Nomadland” is about a woman living in her sixties who after losing everything from the Great Depressions, moves out West as a van-living nomad. Zhao made history as  the first woman of color to win an Oscar for best director and motion picture in 2021. Available to stream on Hulu. 

March is Women’s History Month. A month to celebrate all the brave, heroic, self-starting women that populate the Earth, all 3.905 billion. While watching these films will not bring immediate change, everyone and anyone can support movies and television shows that feature strong female characters, are directed by women, and/or are written by female authors. Go support women, they are the backbone to (and an extraordinary part) of our society!