Celebrity videographer, 2kforbes, edits the DMV

Photo Courtesy of Remi Ali

Remi Ali, better known as 2kforbes, has become a local celebrity among DMV high school students. Ali’s Jan. 17 video edit of senior Tarrus Richardson brought WCHS’ attention to his social media full of an infusion of basketball shots and creative edits.

By Max Kandel, Jackson Resnick, Staff Writer

With just over 9,000 followers on Instagram, his own merchandise and people all around the DMV screaming his name, 2kforbes has built up quite a following as a talented basketball filmer and editor.

The ‘Hoop Mixtape’ has always been a staple of basketball and hip-hop culture. It has been around since the birth of hip-hop and rise of video cameras. Basketball players would have their games filmed and a highlight reel would be created with video edits and usually hype rap music in the background. If you are a hooper in the DMV area who wants a video made, there is only one guy you need to call: 2kforbes.

The Montgomery Blair HS and University of Maryland alumnus’ real name is Remi Ali, but people across the DMV basketball circuit know him as 2kforbes. Just about every high schooler in Montgomery County is familiar with Ali’s signature “2kforbes filmed it” catch line, which is said at the beginning of each of his videos.

“I played basketball my whole life and I have always had a passion for filming, so filming basketball was a natural next step,” Ali said. “As soon as I was able to afford a camera, I went for it.”

Every week, Ali posts what high school game he will be filming and a few days later, his edited video is posted to his Instagram.

“I love editing the video because that is when my creativity really shines,” Ali said. “The positive reactions to my videos always make my day.”

Ali’s videos usually capture every visual aspect of the game he is filming, including some pretty epic student-section shots that gives 2kforbes’ videos a certain energy that students love watching. His video featuring WCHS senior and shooting guard Tarrus Richardson was one of his first to rack up legitimate clout and introduced him to WCHS students.

“I just really like the mixes that he made,” Richardson said. “I asked Jomo to reach to reach out and then he eventually came to a game.”

Since his rise in popularity, Ali has been in high demand for athletes across the DMV, and he has also released his own merchandise for sale.

According to Ali, interested athletes that want a video message him and he coordinates an upcoming game to go to; a few days after filming, he drops the video.

Ali’s filming endeavors have certainly come full circle, as recently he filmed one of his former players that he coached.

“My favorite video that I have made so far would have to be the mix for Roman Cannuscio from Montgomery Blair HS,” Ali said. “I was Roman’s coach when he was in elementary school, so seeing him hit a buzzer beater to win was such an amazing moment for me.”

While Ali’s passion is in basketball, he definitely sees himself going out and filming other sports in the future. Ali is looking forward to taking over the DMV and is dedicated to improving his content and raising the popularity of his brand.

“My growth has been organic through my video quality, my personality and just connecting with people from different schools,” Ali said. “I’m just being myself.”