Fashionistas cash in with Instagram re-sell shops

Jordyn Pegues

Jordyn Pegues

Jordyn Pegues

By Laura Sneller, Arts Editor

Usually, when students want to buy new clothes, they go to the Montgomery Mall or browse online stores. Recently, there’s been a rise in a more convenient way to shop: on Instagram.

Instagram is a social media platform that can be used to post pictures with friends, showcase the latest Starbucks latte or see what the top celebrities are up to. Now, however, people are using Instagram to do more than just post pictures—users are creating separate accounts for their personal closet on which they sell their clothes to their followers.

“I opened a closet account because I wanted to get rid of clothing but also profit from it,” junior Hillary Davis said.

There are a few apps and websites that specialize in users selling items, such as Depop and eBay. Instagram, however, provides an easier and faster method to sell one’s clothes. Most teens already have Instagram accounts, and the clothes are generally cheaper there than on an online store. Additionally, some girls limit their followers to just friends, so you know that the quality of the clothes can be trusted and returned. Clothes bought from online shops can take weeks to arrive, whereas Instagram sellers can usually deliver it to their customer in the span of 24 hours.

“The beauty of an Instagram store is that you get to buy clothing gently-used that you see your friends wearing and you like,” junior Jordyn Pegues said. “With one click, you can spruce up your wardrobe for an affordable price.”

After taking a picture of the clothing, one must simply post the photo to Instagram with a caption detailing what they are selling and the price. Buyers can message the person or comment on the picture, showing their interest in purchasing the item. After that, the two students can decide how and where to meet.

Selling clothes on Instagram is a more genuine and convenient way to shop for new outfits, since you do not have to use a credit or debit card (as most online shops require), and you don’t have to wait a set amount of business days for shipping.

“I think buying from Instagram is better than the mall because you know where you are getting your clothes,” Davis said. “It’s also nice because you can bid on prices and the quality is nice.”

In the fast-paced society that we live in today, trends and styles change all the time, especially for teens. So, why not empty your closet of clothes you have not touched in months while also making some money off of it?

“By opening up my online closet boutique, I’ve made more profit and have donated 10 percent with each purchase to charity because of it,” Pegues said. “Through the uproar of online shops, we have started a community of girl bosses in CHS.”

Laura Sneller, Arts Editor

Laura Sneller is currently the Arts Editor and Production Editor for the Churchill Observer. In her free time, she enjoys being a runner...