The School Newspaper of Winston Churchill High School.

The Observer

The Observer Highlights Lesser-Known Clubs at CHS

Arielle Gordon, Editor-In-Chief

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






CHS has more than 95 official clubs for the 2016-2017 school year. The Observer has talked to a few of the school’s lesser-known clubs to find out what they are up to.

Action and Science Fiction Comics Club (ASC)

The ASC club was founded last year as a place for students to be able to relax and talk about new action and science fiction comic books and movies.

“The goal of our club has always been to have fun,” co-founder and junior Kevin Case said. “We wanted a place that massive nerds like us could go and hang out and talk about the latest in action, adventure, sci-fi, and comics, so we started ASC.”

In the spirit of having fun, meetings are not just surrounded around discussions. Co-founder and junior Harry Wang plans a different activity for each meeting.

“We have had events celebrating the release of each major film in this category with intriguing presentations, enactments and competitions,” sponsor Adam Fugal said.

The ASC club has grown since it was founded and as the more members come, the activities will continue to develop.

“By the end of this year, my goal is to have a big two-part activity as a tribute to the Dark Knight Trilogy,” Wang said. “I’m thinking of doing a fun detective activity since Batman is considered the greatest detective ever.”

Churchill 4 the Children

The Churchill 4 the Children club is new to CHS this year but has already made an impact.

They have already planned and executed fundraisers to benefit those in need. Their most recent event was on Dec. 17, when the club wrapped gifts for free at RIO Washingtonian Center. In four hours of wrapping gifts, they raised $232 in donations.

“We come up with fundraiser ideas so we can raise money and then use the money to buy educational and nutritional supplements to then donate it to children in impoverished schools,” founder and freshman Robin Bali said.

Churchill 4 the Children plans to keep fundraising in  creative ways to be able to reach their goal of sending supplies to students from local schools in need this year.

“We hope to also plan our 5k at the end of the year, ” Bali said. “By the end of the year we plan to achieve sending at least 15 boxes of food, literature books, and calculators to hopefully at least seven or eight different schools around the area.”

Jewish Student Union (JSU)

The CHS JSU was founded by five students in 2013 and now hosts more than 100 people at each meeting. It is the largest high school JSU out of the more than 200 nationwide.

JSU meetings are open to all, regardless of religious affiliation. Co-founder and senior Jacob Glassman estimates that approximately 60 percent of members are Jewish and the remaining 40 percent are not.

“We take advantage of the opportunity to educate non- Jewish students and serve as a primary source of judaic topics,” Glassman said.

Rabbi Yudi Reisel from the National Conference of Synagogue Youth (NCSY) attends each meeting. He, along with NCSY, brings pizza and takes part in discussions and activities relating to relevant topics such as upcoming holidays.

The club not only has discussions and lectures, but also many interactive activities such as decorating apples for the Jewish new year, Rosh Hashana.

“My favorite part of the club is the ‘mock trials’ where we set up the room similar to a Jewish court, with three students to act as the three judges that make up a Jewish court, called the Beit Din (house of judgement), and we go through a contemporary situation where the students decide a verdict,” co-founder and senior Ethan Dalva said. “Rabbi Riesel teaches the Jewish approach to the case using Jewish text and famous commentaries.”  

Lettuce Club

The Lettuce Club is not an official CHS club but that has not deterred them from their sole purpose: to enjoy lettuce.

The club will meet on Jan. 6 to have a competition to see who can eat a head of lettuce in the shortest amount of time.

“Whoever wins gets a free t-shirt and the role of next year’s president,” founder and freshman Katherine Rothstein said.

If there is a club that you would like to see featured, please contact us at [email protected].

Leave a Comment