Churchill’s List offers students virtual marketplace

Junior Brian Bagheri was searching the endless pages of Craigslist when he began to ponder the quality of the item he was purchasing. He did not know anything about the person he was buying from, and he did not want to have to wait for his item to be shipped across the country.

After realizing other students may have contemplated similar questions, Bagheri came up with the idea for “Churchill’s List,” a Facebook group that connects CHS students who are buying and selling items.

“I wanted a way to get my items fast and know that it will be good quality,” Bagheri said. “So I thought to myself, why not start something in which people could buy items from one another within their school system? Churchill’s List is a page in which students can buy, sell or trade items that they might not want but someone else would love to have.”

The group started modestly, but now has over 400 members with over 100 transactions occurring in the last couple of months. While the most popular items on the list are technology such as video games, iPods, and cell phones, people have also sold items such as hats or jewelry.

“Anything can be sold,” Bagheri said.

Freshman Jimmey Stempien has found success on the site selling video games, phones and cameras—he even purchased a rubber band bracelet.

“I would give it 11 out of 10 stars,” Stempien said. “Very rarely does a transaction go south.”

Senior McCall Larsen has also had a positive experience in the group, and is currently searching for a replacement iPhone on the List.

“I highly recommend this as I have heard nothing but good things,” Larsen said. “I hope that more people start to use this as it will widen the variety of items for people to purchase.”

Students should feel safe in the group thanks to Bagheri’s strict monitoring of the page.

“You must be a Churchill student to join and anyone who posts or says anything inappropriate will immediately be kicked off,” Bagheri said. “We are here for business and not playtime.”

The List is for more than just helping students make some extra cash. The List operators plan on expanding with a charitable objective.

“We are in the process of making a website and through that site we will sell advertising time to local companies,” Baheri said. “With that profit we make, all of it will go to hunger and caner.”

In addition to raising money for charities, the List has also become a place of friendship for many a Bulldog.

“In a way, it’s connecting students in the school,” Bagheri said. “People meet each other and make new friends just through a simple transaction.”