His name is Grody, Charles Grody, contest finalist

There’s a secret agent walking the CHS hallways, but it’s not James Bond—it’s freshman Charles Grody, a finalist in the Burn Notice Science Challenge.

Charles is one of 25 finalists across the country who is participating in the Burn Notice Science Challenge, sponsored by the USA television network and the crime show Burn Notice.  For the project, high-school students must work out a scientific solution to one of three scenarios on the contest’s webpage.

“I watch Burn Notice, and I found out about the contest on a commercial in November,” Charles said.  “I pretty much wanted to do it, and since it’s sponsored by my favorite show, I thought I’d try it out.”

Charles got to work immediately and chose to find the solution to the “Loud and Clear” scenario, in which he has to communicate with an operative in an office building from 100 feet away without alerting the enemies inside.  Charles successfully solved the problem with supplies easily found in an office.

“I had to write an essay and make a three minute video,” Charles said.  “Even though it was frustrating at times, I was satisfied with the amount of time I put into it.”

His solution involves using the Pythagorean theorem, the formula to find kinetic friction and more.

Miles Grody, Charles’s father, believes that this is an amazing chance for his son to demonstrate his academic skills.

“I think this has been a great opportunity for him to show creativity in applying STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) principles to solve a problem presented by his favorite television show,” Miles said.

Charles’ solution is complex, but in simple, his operative, Sam, uses office supplies to make a slingshot and send a hook down to Charles that would create a zip-line.  With the use of this line, Charles and Sam can communicate by tugging on the wire.

According to Miles, Charles’s solution “has a reasonable chance to place in one of the top five slots” since “the show could actually use Charles’s solution as a means for resolving the situation.”

Overall, Charles is happy that he is a finalist, and he is thankful for the opportunity to be a part of the challenge.

“It’s really exciting,” Charles said.  “I’m glad I get to compete with kids all over the country.”

Charles has also used this experience as an opportunity to work toward his future goals, since his current career path involves using science and math.

“I’ve always been interested in engineering, and I love the show,” Charles said.  “This challenge is right up my alley.”

Charles will find out around June 1 if he wins the contest.  If he wins, he will receive a $10,000 college scholarship and a free trip to the set to meet the cast.  His solution will also be featured in the episode.