Parent-teachers bring family time to school

Senior Nick Sines eagerly examines his new schedule, scanning the names of teachers he will have this year. His eye lands on Monica Malanoski, his AP Economics teacher, who also happens to be his mom.

The notion of your mom or dad seeing you socialize or flirt may be enough to make most students apprehensive, but for some at CHS it happens everyday.

Junior Hillary Tilles’ mother, Wendy Tilles, is the Signature Program assistant administrator, and has been a staff member for almost three years.

According to Hillary, she was more stressed than other students when she was coming in as a freshman because her mom would be interacting with her friends. However, after the first couple of weeks it became less stressful and now it is part of her routine to see her mom at school every day.

“[It is good] that I can keep all of my stuff in her room like [my] books and food,” Tilles said.

Like Tilles, junior Mackenzie Phillips considers it an asset to have her mom, math teacher Audrey Phillips, at school. As an incoming freshman, Mackenzie was not fazed by the fact that they would be in the same school because she had been mentally preparing herself for 14 years.

“I’ve always viewed her as a teacher,” Mackenzie said. “It would be weird if she wasn’t [working here].”

While Mackenzie put in a request not to have her mom as her Pre-calculus teacher, Malanoski, who is the only AP Economics teacher, makes sure that she respects the line between son and student.

“It is tough to look at Nick in class without seeing my son,” Malanoski said. “I am harder on him because I do not want other students to think I am giving him preferential treatment.”

While Malanoski feels that she has to be harder on him, Sines also feels that he has to be on his best behavior.

“In normal classes I usually slack off,” Sines said. “But I know my mom will expect the best of me in her class, which means always turning in my homework and writing good notes.”

Both teachers and students have agreed that overall, having each other at school is beneficial. For the most part, they can stay out of each other’s way but they also view going to school together as a bonding experience.

“It is very much [her] school and it’s very much my school,” Audrey Phillips said. “[CHS] is a large enough school that my kids can have their high school experiences and I can have my professional experiences.”