Seniors say creatively: ‘Will you go to prom with me?’

For seniors, prom is the biggest event of the year, and they strive to make it the greatest night of their lives. On top of the struggles to find a tux, buy a dress and rent a limo, the biggest dilemma of all is getting a date. The Observer recently sat down with a few CHS students to hear their first-hand accounts of prom asking.

Casey Stein (senior): asked Caitlin Murphy (senior)
“I had it all planned out. I laid a big trail of the cherry blossom petals from her front door to her patio. I also had rose petals and made arrows along the trail. Her parents and I put candles on the trail. The path led to her porch [where] I had put rose petals in the shape of the word “Prom.” I was there holding a teddy bear that I made at Build a Bear and when I squeezed it, it said ‘please?’”

Caitlin Murphy (senior): asked by Casey Stein (senior)
“At first it was funny cause I was sort of far away and wasn’t able to hear the bear. Then I got so happy and excited, I was speechless! I think the first thing I said to him was “You are so cute!”

Hanna Walston (senior): asked by Ben Bronster (senior)
“I was standing waiting for my ride home from school, and all these cars drove by me each with a word on them spelling, “Will you go to prom with me?” Each guy got out of the car and gave me a flower. The last car drove up and Ben walked out with a bunch of flowers and asked me.”

Joseph Friedman (senior): asked Katie Minnock (junior)
“Katie and I had gone to Sprinkles a few times together. I knew I wanted to ask her to prom, and was thinking of a fun and unique way of doing it, and I finally figured it out. I asked her to meet up with me at Sprinkles that upcoming Saturday at 4 p.m. I went over to the Village at about 3:30 p.m., bought a bouquet of roses (for rose petals), and then went over to Sprinkles to set up the table. I bought a container of sprinkles when I got there and spelled out “Prom?” on the table and surrounded the sprinkles with rose pedals on the table.”

Katie Minnock (junior): asked by Joe Friedman
“He asked me to go meet him at Sprinkles, and I knew he was going to ask me, so I decided to come late. I walked in ten minutes late, and I started to order off the menu. I didn’t see anything for prom, so I thought I was wrong, but then he whistled and pointed at a table. There were sprinkles that spelled prom with rose petals around it, and then I said ‘yes!’”

Darren Harris (senior): asked Danielle Balsamo (senior)
“I made a big sign out of rose petals that said “Prom” on it and taped it to her car while she was at work. Then I had my friend Ellen Suttle run in and tell her that someone backed into her car in the parking lot. She ran out freaking out about her car and saw me standing by her car with a boom box over my head playing “Time After Time” by Cyndi Lauper. She started laughing and immediately said of course. It worked pretty well.”

Sean McDonald (senior): asked Monica Caropreso (senior)
“Once I decided that I would ask Monica to prom, she kind of had a feeling that it was going to be me. I remember her telling me that I could do whatever I wanted as long as I did not embarrass her. As a result, I though it would be perfect if I did just that. I got three of my music buddies (Mamoudou Keita, Nat Green, and Anthony Phillips-Spencer) and we rehearsed that old ‘50s love song, “In the Still of The Night.” I changed the words to “In the Still of Prom Night” instead and performed it right in the middle of our third period English class taught by Mrs. Goodwin. Monica ended up saying yes so I guess it ended up pretty well.”

Yasmin Teymourian (senior): asked by Ryan Schorer (senior)
“Ryan went skydiving and I really wanted to go but I couldn’t that day, so he sent me the video of him skydiving and told me to pay attention to the first minute because it got pretty good. The beginning of the video was of him talking to the sky diving instructor. The instructor asks “Ryan I understand there is something you want to say to someone” and then Ryan says… “Yasmin if I survive through this, will you go to prom with me?” The rest of the video was of him skydiving which was pretty cool. Naturally, I said YES!”