Upcoming concerts to keep an eye (and ear) out for

Black+Cat%2C+a+concert+venue+in+Washington+D.C.%2C+opened+on+September+1993+as+a+means+to+discover+and+support+local+bands+and+rising+stars+in+the+indie+scene.+

Photo by George Chang

Black Cat, a concert venue in Washington D.C., opened on September 1993 as a means to discover and support local bands and rising stars in the indie scene.

By George Chang, Arts Editor

Imagine the warm spring breeze as you plan the perfect path to the front of the venue, the fluorescent lights bathing the audience in soft reds and blues, the coy grin before the artist sings the first notes to their most popular song. The fluidity of the crowd, hands in the air and bodies in sync with the beat. The midnight rush of the car ride home as attendees drowsily debrief the highlights of the show. This can be a reality at these upcoming concerts in the DC metro area.

Sat 11 Mar @ 9:30 Club: Paolo Nutini

Nutini’s guttural rasp and pleading lyricism reflects how his music shoots right at the heart. Catch him at the 9:30 Club as he plays songs off of his newest album in eight years, “Last Night in the Bittersweet.” 

Sat 11 Mar @ The Anthem: Keshi

Listen to just one of Keshi’s songs, and you’ll be instantly transported to a dreamy alternate universe. With his stunning falsetto and fragile instrumentation, don’t miss an intimate show at The Anthem. 

Thurs 30 Mar @ Black Cat: Charlotte Adigéry & Bolis Pupul

Charlotte Adigéry and Bolis Pupul’s newest record, “Topical Dancer,” is joyous and made for the dancefloor; but behind the dynamic production lies scathing takedowns of the social issues that plague humanity. Join them at Black Cat for an euphoric night worth remembering.

Tues 11 Apr @ Black Cat: Duster

Pioneers of the slowcore genre, Duster’s music basks in droning indie-rock instrumentals and vocals just above a whisper. On their new album, though, they flip the script by introducing a newfound sense of purpose and brightness in their songs. Duster will be performing at Black Cat in support of their post-hiatus record, “Together.”

Fri 14 Apr @ 9:30 Club: Caroline Rose

Caroline Rose’s propulsive indie pop is filled with electrifying synths and clever hooks. However, her upcoming album “The Art of Forgetting” is a genre-blending masterclass in storytelling and pop bangers, suggesting a new and exciting path for Rose. Her show at the 9:30 Club is sure to be an exhilarating experience for those who attend.

Tues 18 Apr @ Black Cat: Xiu Xiu

Xiu Xiu’s latest record, “Ignore Grief,” is an unfiltered and at-times horrifying look into the different aspects of grief, sadness and anger. Likewise, their shows tend to be rapturous, with an emphasis on lead singer Jamie Stewart’s physicality. For a taste of what their music offers, check them out at Black Cat on April 18th. 

Sat 22 Apr @ The Anthem: M83

M83’s music is positively cinematic, with spacious vocals and sprawling electronic instrumentals that seem to span the entire galaxy. Their upcoming LP, “Fantasy,” captures exactly what its title proposes: a tight yet chaotic exploration of the human condition through a fantastical world. M83 will be bringing this exciting energy to their performance at The Anthem.

Mon 01 May @ The Anthem: 100 gecs

100 gecs, a duo consisting of Dylan Brady and Laura Les, is a sonic exploration of the internet generation: their maximalist and overwhelming hyperpop music is a distillation of raw emotion, both good and bad. Their tour, which will hit The Anthem on May 1st, will be in support of their anticipated sophomore album, “10,000 gecs.” 

Fri 05 May @ 9:30 Club: Yaeji

Yaeji’s discography is made for the club, which combines house music, hip-hop and Korean influences of cohesive restraint. Her debut album, “With a Hammer,” follows a plethora of EPs and mixtapes from the past few years. Get ready to let loose at her 9:30 Club show on May 5th.

Sun 14 May @ The Anthem: Sabrina Carpenter

Sabrina Carpenter’s honest and stream-of-consciousness songwriting is paired with anthemic pop and vulnerable balladry on her break-up record, “Emails I Can’t Send.” Her upcoming show at The Anthem, then, will certainly be a cathartic experience for her and her audience. 

Tues 30 May @ 9:30 Club: Indigo De Souza

Indigo De Souza is a candid and expressive auteur, with songs that seem to be expelled from her soul. While her first two records were grungy yet transcendent, her forthcoming album, “All of This Will End,” forays into newer sounds, from synthy indie to 90s country. See her at the 9:30 Club on Tuesday, May 30th.

As Henry Wadsworth Longfellow said, “Music is the universal language of mankind.” Whatever singer, artist or band one decides to see, they’ll be sure to have a great time—or even find out something new about themself.