Have a sweet Valentine’s Day with these delicious treats

Photo by Ava Freeman

The perfect valentine for your signficant other is flowers and these Hershey Kisses Roses: Milk Chocolate Meltaway. The chocolates mimic the appearance of a rose and have a delish creamy taste that will get you in the spirit for Valentine’s Day.

By Ava Freeman, Online Editor-in-Chief

Valentine’s Day is known for many different things: cupid, roses, hearts and of course, love to name a few. But aside from these classic symbols, one of the best parts of this romantic holiday is that it is the perfect excuse to indulge in some delicious treats. From boxes of chocolates to conversation hearts, gifting your partner, friend or family member with a Valentine’s Day-themed treat is the perfect way to show your love and appreciation for them. Here are some of the most notable Valentine’s Day sweets for you and your loved ones to enjoy on this magical day.

Reese’s Peanut Butter Hearts

The original OTP (one true pair): chocolate and peanut butter. This perfect combination takes on a new form, this time in the shape of a heart. Reese’s Peanut Butter Hearts have the same delicious taste that you know and love from the original, but the new shape is great for getting into the Valentine’s Day spirit. I have no complaints for the chocolatey treat, as you simply can’t go wrong with this festive twist on a classic candy. 

Conversation Hearts

When thinking back to elementary school Valentines, I can’t help but to picture trading Conversation Hearts with my peers on our desks. They never fail to make a return every Feb. 14 with their adorable sayings for you and your loved ones to share. As for the taste, these candies would not get a fivestar rating. They taste chalky and the pink cherry flavor almost reminds me of pepto bismol. However, they are still totally worth it just for the festive and endearing “Be Mine” and “I Love you” sayings. 

Valentine’s Day Gummy Bears

Everyone’s favorite chewy candy, Gummy Bears, have even found a way into your hearts this Valentine’s Day. The special Valentine’s pack includes all of the colors that come to mind when you hear the word “love”: red and pink. While of course these little bears are delicious, my favorite part of the candy is the packaging. The bag is decorated with red hearts and an adorable bear holding up a valentine that says “To:” and “From:” for you to fill out. This makes them the perfect gift to give to your valentine this year. 

WCHS students also seem to agree. According to the @wchsobserver Instagram poll, 68 percent of students prefer gummy bears compared to only 32 percent that prefer conversation hearts.

Hershey Kisses Roses: Milk Chocolate Meltaway

The typical romantic gesture that is made on Valentine’s Day is to bring your loved one a bouquet of flowers and chocolates, so why not do two in one. Hershey Kisses Roses are each individually packaged to mimic a beautiful rose: red floral wrapping with a green tag at the top to represent the stem. On top of it all, they taste incredible. When you first bite into one of these chocolates, you taste a hard milk chocolate shell followed by a creamy chocolatey filling in the middle that will melt in your mouth. There’s nothing better than receiving a kiss on Valentine’s Day!

Box of Chocolates

The classic heart shaped box of chocolate has become such a Valentine’s Day staple, they even coined their own movie quote: “Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re gonna get.” This metaphor was created due to the fun and unpredictable nature of the treat. With a wide array of assorted chocolates, you never know exactly what it will taste like until you bite into it. While not all of the flavors will be your favorite, you are guaranteed to enjoy your time sampling all of the different chocolates with your significant other.

When pinned up against Hershey Kisses, Boxes of Chocolates were victorious, winning 57 percent of WCHS voters. While Hershey Kisses are definitely delicious, I can’t argue that a Box of Chocolates on Valentine’s Day is the best choice to get into the holiday spirit.

Chocolate Covered Strawberries

Almost anything tastes better dipped in chocolate. Chocolate covered strawberries are a tasty treat for Valentine’s Day as they are refreshing with the perfect touch of sweetness. They are the perfect gift for a loved one, and to top it off, they look super cute in their Valentine’s Day bright red color.

Valentine’s Day Lofthouse Frosted Sugar Cookies

All year round, frosted sugar cookies are one of my favorite treats. Their seasonal Valentine’s Day pack comes in white and pink icing with red, white and pink festive sprinkles, which definitely emphasizes the feeling of Valentine’s Day. While I personally love these cookies, I have heard many debates over whether or not they are too sweet.

This was likely reflected in our Instagram poll where sugar cookies received 32 percent of votes and chocolate covered strawberries racked up 68 percent of student votes.

While this Valentine’s Day may look a little different due to COVID-19 preventing us from going out, some traditions don’t need to change. Keep the Valentine’s Day spirit alive and gift your loved ones with one of these scrumptious treats that will surely get them asking you to be their valentine.