“Star Wars” fans hope for out of this world production

By Ethan C. Miller, Staff Writer

Unfortunately for “Star Wars” fans, it will take “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” a little bit longer than 12 parsecs to debut in theaters. While the newest addition to the “Star Wars” franchise is not coming to the big screen as fast as the Millennium Falcon, it will be here in another month.

The highly anticipated Dec. 15 release date for Episode VIII is just around the corner. Nearly two years since “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” was released, many CHS students can’t wait to see what will happen in the first sequel of the newest trilogy.

“As a sci-fi fan who has watched all of the ‘Star Wars’ movies, I am beyond excited for the new episode,” senior Harry Wang said.

The mixture of new characters, such as Rey (Daisy Ridley), Finn (John Boyega) and Kylo Ren (Adam Driver), mixed with the return of Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) and Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher), provides fans with a fresh outlook at the rebooted series without losing its iconic feel. The new movie takes viewers deeper into the plot and will hopefully give a sense of what Supreme Leader Snoke’s (Andy Serkis) overarching scheme is.

“I am excited because we get to explore deeper into the new characters,” Wang said. “The trailer makes me really interested in who Supreme Leader Snoke actually is. I hope his identity will be revealed and I hope it’s a jaw dropping surprise.”

Wang, who is the founder and president of the Action and Sci-fi Comics Alliance (ASC) at CHS, plans to host a fan theory party before the movie is released. While Wang wants to go see the new film with some friends, other students, such as senior Kevin Case, have different plans.

“My family and I always go to the Kentlands with a few of our friends,” Case said. “We have 10 tickets for both [nights of the film’s release].”

According to a poll of 51 CHS students, 64 percent of students are excited for the new movie. Sixty-five percent of CHS students like “Star Wars”, with eight percent of those students even willing to dress up to go to the movie.

“It’s ‘Star Wars,’ man,” Case said. “Who isn’t excited? I just want it to be really good.”

“The Force Awakens” follows plot lines similar to the original movie, “Star Wars: A New Hope”.

However, the new movie is bound to deliver an adaption to the franchise that fans have never seen before.

“It’s the beginning of the end of one of the greatest franchises of all time, which means there’s bound to be some iconic moments and twists,” senior Neel Deka said.